I knew i shouldnt..I said i wouldnt.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: I knew i shouldnt..I said i wouldnt.

Post by Charliegreen »

What a great progression series.
You got skills.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Bodhi,
The foliage is really coming on this little beauty mate. Will you let it grow more foliage before cutting back?

Regards Ray
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Ray, the plan is to reduce branch length minimumly as i dont know a lot about its growing habit. I am experimenting with single branch's only (leave one long, reduce back to the last offshoot on another Etc) but i did get more foliage and smaller leaves and quite a few secondary's. I will wait until the tree is bare and hopefully only have to wire the new growth. One branch i will cut baclk hard and see what happens. Back to the first or second offshoot.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

bodhidharma wrote:Hi Ray, the plan is to reduce branch length minimumly as i dont know a lot about its growing habit. I am experimenting with single branch's only (leave one long, reduce back to the last offshoot on another Etc) but i did get more foliage and smaller leaves and quite a few secondary's. I will wait until the tree is bare and hopefully only have to wire the new growth. One branch i will cut baclk hard and see what happens. Back to the first or second offshoot.
Hi Bodhi,
Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds like a good plan to me. I think this type of experimenting helps to put more interest in our hobby.

Regards Ray
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

This tree is making great progress and i have pruned branches according my earlier plan. Branching has set into place and i wired the secondarys. I was hoping to have more secondary branching but i will now feed it and let it do its thing until next year. I will probably remove some branches later down the track but for now will let them grow on. it looks a little crowded but the tree is a loooonngg way off yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Get nasty, Bodhi! The more those branches bend and twist the better they go with that root base. Just my 2c.

Gavin

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”