Large dig experience

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Large dig experience

Post by Homer911 »

So I have been offered a very large japanese maple tree from a friend. Its about 300mm girth and about 3-4 m tall.

Im looking for some advice from others who have dug this large and with maples especially.

What is the likely hooded of it not recovering? I know there are many variables but just looking for some experience. I know its not the greatest time of year to do it but i dont have a choice.

Thanks
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: Large dig experience

Post by Brian »

it would be a pity to trunk chop such a large tree. What about leaving it large and potting it up as a patio plant ?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

In 2012 I dug a large Japanese Maple from a garden and it was hard digging. For all those who say maples have shallow roots systems I would not concur. But anyway when I dug mine it was snowing so the weather was quite different to what it is now and I used a chain saw to reduce it to a manageable size and the trunk width was about 25 cm, a little smaller than yours. The good news is that it did survive and is now a long term project.
If you only have this opportunity to dig it I say give it a go. Defoliate, plant in a pot that is not oversize, keep in the shade. Of course get as much root as possible.
Keep us posted please.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Homer911 »

Cheers watto,

Good info. I wouldnt be too concerned if it was in the winter but my my concern is that the tree is not dormant yet.

I would also be paying for the tree so its a gamble.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I have a large maple project, after 10 years I am disappointed. It lacks credibility the chop has not healed, the apex has suffered dieback and the trunk got sunburnt a few years ago on a 40 degree day, as a result the bark has died down one side. Many years of work and I think I will chop and re design something with a hollow trunk.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

My experience also Gerard. A 3oo mm trunk will need to be grown to a very large tree to be credible (6:1 ratio = 1.8m tall??) and will require a very large pot - 1m + long???

Big is good so bigger is better :?: - Not in my book. Far better to look for good trees rather than big trees :imo:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Same experience as Gerard. Sunburnt down one side, dieback, pest and fungus attack, death. I'd probably try again if I was offered a tree for free, but I'd be much more careful. Very difficult species to dig. They put roots out in all directions and lock themselves in very well. Make sure you seal all cuts, fungus very easily attacks cut maples. I would probably not do it out of prime season either.

Good luck

Adam

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”