Dug climbing rose

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.

Dug climbing rose

Postby Beano » October 10th, 2017, 6:25 pm

We decided on the weekend we would remove the climbing rose which was quite ugly and scraggly. Having not noticed the base of it until today, I decided it was worth saving. I don’t think it’ll live but it was worth a try.

ImageImage

Anyone know what this insect is? There were a few of them
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Dug climbing rose

Postby shibui » October 10th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Why start off so pessimistic? I'm pretty sure your rose will survive this transplant. You have far more roots here than a rose needs. It is constantly amazing how little is needed for a plant to continue to grow.

A bit hard to get a good look at the insect but it looks like a slater AKA woodlouse. They are usually darker grey but after shedding the skin can be lighter colour. They have a distinctive habit of rolling up into a ball when disturbed. Not really a problem. I believe they eat mostly dead plant material though Alpineart says they have eaten bark off some of his fusion trunks.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Dug climbing rose

Postby Beano » October 10th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Haha! I was pretty vicious with it, it was up against a colour bond fence.

Every time I got the camera out the insects hid. They were pretty grey, I thought they were termites at first but googled them and was glad to find they looked nothing like them!

Well hopefully a nice little tree could develop. I saw the scraggly growth and assumed it had a skinny trunk, until I actually looked.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bonsai Age: 3

Return to Propagation, Collecting and Importing