Getting permissions.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Getting permissions.

Post by Asus101 »

I was speaking to a bonsai mate from over the border who also likes a bit of fishing. He was saying that on his last trip he came across a great number of tea tree's wind battered from living on the coastline for so very long.

So how do I seek permissions?
How do I make it not sound like I want to tramp through the dunes destroying everything I see?
How do I get them to agree to giving me a permit?
What sort of permit do i chase?
Young and hostile but not stupid.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Getting permissions.

Post by kcpoole »

depends on who owns the land I think

If privately owned, then the owner

If National park, then good luck :-) but check the local office first.

if council, then the local council office

Whatever you do let us know here so we do not have to reinvent the wheel

ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I am unsure about other states. I got mine from the office of CALM ( conservation and Land Management ) I asked why they could slash trees on road verges but if I was to dig one to save it from that fate to turn into Bonsai. I would be hit with a fine.
The guy then asked what species and where I told him. Paid the fee and now I have a Scientific Licence to dig them. As with all declared species NO. Private property included.Most councils will allow it.
ALWAYS take out what you take in and leave the LAND as YOU FOUNDIT. Do not spoil it for others. WE have had that happen sites we were allowed on council and private property beeing left like tips. No more digging allowed. So check out your State or local authority. I will admit each year I re new the restrictions get alittle harder so I wonder if it is worth it seeing as I have enough. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I looked into Calm here in NSW and it is no longer. It is something about Water Catchment Area now. I have been stalled in my endevour.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

I havnt.
Ill post results when emails are back.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Good News For Victorians?

Post by FlyBri »

Asus101 wrote:So how do I seek permissions?
How do I make it not sound like I want to tramp through the dunes destroying everything I see?
How do I get them to agree to giving me a permit?
What sort of permit do i chase?
Gday folks!

I had always been under the impression that all Oz Native flora and fauna was protected by Federal law, but I'm having a hard time finding any information to confirm this. I think it is safe to assume that everything in a National (Commonwealth) Park or Reserve is protected, but that permission for collection may be available. (Further, I would always assume that some form of permission is required, regardless of tree species (including weed species) or location (private or public land).)

I have done a quick search for the collection of plant material in Victoria, and have come up with some promising(?) results. I was surprised to find that the Department Of Sustainability And Environment (Victoria) appears only to require permission to collect protected flora (PDF listing supplied), which seems to imply that it is OK to collect any flora which is not on the 'protected' list. A further search led me to the Department Of Primary Industry's permits to collect local seed, which states that "[f]or collection of plant material from any public land, and even for collection from private land in some instances, you need to obtain a permit from the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE)." This document goes on to list other managing bodies who should be approached depending upon the location of the 'plant material' you wish to collect. So, it would seem that collection of many native species is possible in Victoria, although you may required to go through 2 or 3 (or more) relevant bodies in order to gain proper permission.

I believe that there are a few ways in which a permit application may be more likely to be accepted:

-> Join the Australian Plants as Bonsai Study Group. This group has the backing of ASGAP which is a national organization. Also, join as many local native flora groups and 'Friends Of...' groups as you can find. Those in the position to issue permits will likely prefer to work with established groups than with unknown individuals.

-> Be as specific as you can when making your application. Know in advance which species (and if possible, actual specimens) you wish to collect, as well as their location. Use scientific/botanical notation wherever possible.

-> Word your application in such a way that it is evident that you have a genuine scientific and/or cultural aim in mind. Phrases like "increase the awareness of..." and "further public knowledge..." spring to mind. Avoid sounding greedy or self-serving ("Mate, there's some grouse little trees down there that I just have to have in my collection!!!" :shock: ).

So, I'm not sure that any of this will be of use to anybody. In the New Year, I hope to lodge an application to collect She Oaks from a location not far from me (and I'm not saying where!). I expect that the location of the trees in question will require me to get various permissions from up to 4 relevant authorities. I'll let you all know how I fare.

Wish me luck!

Fly.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

In SA I had to look for info through Dept. of environment and heritage. I got told there is only one permit type available and its a clearance license. It costs $450 for anything more than 4 trees (take off 25% for anything under 4 or less), it will also cost $200 per day for an impact surveyor to come and look at the impact of removal, and there are many other rules regarding it. Permits wont be given for a few reasons (like a group of trees untouched for 20 years or more), all that are not fully explained, but are of professional opinion.
This needs to be done for private land as well as public, you can also try to get it for a national park, but you also need permission from the parks ranger.

It has taken me about 9 months to get that from them.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

FlyBri wrote:Wish me luck!
Good luck Mr Fly!

Thanks for an interesting and informative post.
FYI, I have had 100% success collecting Casuarina from the banks of a river where the roots were constantly wet. Collecting from other (dryer) areas has proved less fruitful with only 50% surviving. There is a picture of me digging a small one on my property at the bottom of this post.

Cheers,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

I collected a sheoak that was on private property. It killed off all foliage, and i thought it was dead. When I went to move the GF was pulling stuff out of pots that were dead and chucking it. When she pulled that one out, i saw white roots.
Its top died off but the bottom section is still kicking, and just budding out now.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”