Some intresting natives

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Some intresting natives

Post by Bretts »

If you wanted to help people to think about it why not post a link to the article and be more specific instead of playing riddler games. It is a very valid point that some trees should not be collected it is also very obvious. Especially since we have only just had this discussion on this Forum and you took it too another for an international opinion. The general agreement is that permission should always be sought. When it comes down to trees that will be destroyed for no reason I like many others am happy to change into my tree hugger outfit and swoop in to save some trees and give them a chance of a new life. If you really want to help in this regard why not start a thread about the avenues you have discovered for getting permission I am sure many members would be interested.
All you have stated about these is that you believe they are uncollectible you have given no reason why this is so. This article from Walter is written in a country where the trees collected are almost always the natives of the country. I like others are not big on collecting our natives. These trees I find to be an exception because as soon as they show any sign of strength they are cut back again. I think that they are ripe for experimenting on some collecting techniques.
We have been watching these trees for 3 times longer than you have been doing bonsai. We have collected 2 trees in that time and one died considering these conditions on a first try I see that as very encouraging. Offcourse the aim is to take this finding and improve on it. The conclusion we have reached from this is that the tree must stay out of the sun until it has recovered no matter how long it takes.
How many I'll take the tree no matter what it takes have you come across in Australia?
You state you have lost two collected trees and your conclusion is that it was due to the Summer heat. I don't see much responsibility for the loss here. The trees where in your hands how can you blame the Sun. Next time you collect can you guarantee that the Summer will be milder?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

beautifully said brett; ace no digs; the story is in what we do. :)
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Take as many as you want, do what you want.

Good luck have fun...
Young and hostile but not stupid.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

i've killed stacks of trees in my 10 odd years. some yamadori, some nursery stock, some seedlings...

i'm sure none of you are crying.

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

One of the secrets to keeping natives alive after collection, is to sit them in water. Depending on the species, they may need to remain in a water tray.
I had a collected casurine that just stood still after collection. (From a site about to be bulldozed), untill I sat it in water, it then took off and hasn't looked back. I leave casurina ( except for torulosa) and paper bark in water trays most of the time.
Lynette
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thats definatly worth a try thanks Lynette
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

i have a red and blue gum in plastic pots from the nusery they both sit in a tub last summer they nearly died due to the heat and they havent looked back ever since i put them in a tub with water.

good call Lynette
NO TREE IS SAFE

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”