Some intresting natives

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Some intresting natives

Post by Bretts »

Searching through old pictures last night I found these of some gums and a paperbark, bottle brush or similar?
They are in a river bed on the dry side of a dam wall. We have been watching them for a few years they sufferd through the drought but are regaining vigor this year. We are trying to come up with some techniques for collecting them we are considering ground layers at the moment.
intresting gums (4).jpg
intresting gums (3).jpg
intresting gums (2).jpg
intresting gums.jpg
gum stump.jpg
I am sure I had more pictures but can't find them at the moment we will head out there again soon to see what they are up to and I will take some more pictures.
Any ideas on collection would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: Some intresting natives

Post by Jan »

Images 3 and 5 showing gums with a "silver coin" leaf look to be what are locally known as "Apple" or "Apple Box", Eucalyptus cinerae.

These have one of those wonderful lignum(?) tubers, that are their answer to root or top damage (flood/fire), and allow them to send out roots or shoots from almost nothing.

They should reshoot even if you can't take much root when collected looks like that may be the case in that rocky ground). If you dig them in late winter climatic conditions and a bit of TLC should give you a good chance.

I've heard that a bit of Vegemite in the water (B vitimins) and honey on the wounds (natural Fungicide, anti bacterial and keep the cut moist) might help.

Best of luck and let us know how they go,

JanM
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

I would class them as uncollectable and keep the photo's and great inspiration.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I will look forward to proving you wrong Asus :D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the ID Jan.
I am no native whizz so I can only go by my limited memory that most say to collect late Summer?
My mate Poll has been able to collect one that survived. Mine died. It was alive for a long time but did not re-shoot I moved it into more sun thinking it may need some and it went down hill fast from there. It was about the same time that polls started to re-shoot. We both burnt after collection.
That was a couple of years ago so I am keen to try another one. I will be sure to try some hormones this time probably seasol.
Will be sure to keep you updated. I think from memory at least one of the ones clamping the rock died about a year after these pictures. Fly stated that the growth it was showing was not a good sign. He had a name for it? The leaves are so small it looks like grass.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Is Poll a hort. teacher by any chance?

JayC
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

soltan wrote:I will look forward to proving you wrong Asus :D
well before you do, go read Walters articles on collecting.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

Dont mean to sound rude but I feel that Walters articles on collecting are not related to the collection of lignotubers.

But thats just my opinion...
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

There is more to the article than just how to collect...
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I'll make sure I buy a back pack to carry all the tools in like in Walters article Asus ;)
I have read before and there was not much I did not remember except that I found out Walter and Peter Adams use and recomend Superthrive when collecting. :)
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Look at the parts in ever article on collecting that talks about the reasons for collecting, then stop think about it... Is it work risking the lives of these plant and damaging the surrounding environment?
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

soltan wrote:I will look forward to proving you wrong Asus :D
that wont be hard! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Asus it would be real nice if in future you just come out and say what you mean to start with. This Riddler attitude just makes discussion too hard.
If you have another look at the pictures you will notice that these trees have been cut back. They will never be allowed to survive in this area if left as the council wants them gone. The landscape has been ravaged by man altering the flow of the river we could not do more damage if we tried it looks very much like one of those quarry's where a great hole has been ripped in the earth. As I stated we have been watching these trees for years and are taking great pains to learn and ensure the best survival. We have collected two with a 50% survival rate and have thought about the next step for another couple of years to make sure we improve on that.
Last edited by Bretts on June 15th, 2009, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hey Jay Poll is a bonsai mate that I wrangeled a few years ago. I introduced him on a thread here. viewtopic.php?f=96&t=1042&p=9689&hilit=poll#p9689
Hopefully he will join us online soon. He can't decide on a wireless Internet provider so if anyone has a recommendation it may get him here sooner :)
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Solt I'm just trying to get people to think before they collect. I know a few members don't care about anything but themselves when collecting, but its important for collectors to think about the impacts on the environment as well as getting permissions. Some tree's should be left to be enjoyed, not risked. That is what I wanted you to read and understand.
Everyone who has ever written articles on collecting go into this side. I personally would consider a 50% chance too high a risk.
We need more responsible collectors not more "I'll take that tree whatever it takes".

And before ant can put one of his little digs in, I have lost 2 collected tree's and that was due to the summer heat.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”