A new Cotonester

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

A new Cotonester

Post by alpineart »

This was dug in the early hours due to high temps being forcast . Again like the other trunks it was too big so I split it into 3 pieces
P1080889.JPG
P1080890.JPG
P1080891.JPG
P1080893.JPG
. Plenty of fine feeder roots on all section so they should be good to grow and with natural hollows created by natures critters they will be great to work on . The temp today is a little higher than forecast
P1080888.JPG
this is under the shade sails where most of my potted material is sheltered from the extreme heat .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Re: A new Cotonester

Post by Meagi »

Gosh mate that is insane temps ... Huge trunks must of been a ripper of a dig and a big lift as well in to the trailer
Where you gonna find a pot that big looks like you'll have Ito make another invention
Look forward to you clever idea
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Alpine,
You have some great material there to work with mate. Our temperature is in the low 30's. What can the temperature get up to where you are? Do you get hot winds as well? Keep us updated with your progression. :tu2:

Regards Ray
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Nice stumps there alpine. Good roots to so should be no worries. You can keep that temp though. Just spent the day out with the family and it was a lovely temp. Bush walking and swimming. Be interesting to see where you take these. Bit of growing to do before any real direction is revealed though. Hope the high temps aren't an issue you.

Josh.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Im keen to see how this Cotoneaster responds to this Alp, been meaning to dig one or two for myself. Keep us posted please.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Meagi , its a bit hotter than usual , this trunk was split in the ground and removed in 3 pieces . Definitely too big for a single lift , but being hollow they were managable . I'm hoping to lighten the load to around 350mm in diameter an all 3 pieces over a season or 2 .

Hi Ray M , These are hollow and unique , the other remaining trunk base is solid so it too has its own character , thats tomorrows job . The highest i have recorded was 48.8 under the shade sails , radiant heat flows up the street creating a killer hot breeze . You could add a couple of degree on top if standing in the sun . Next week i expect the main road to be closed out front as the bitumen melts and flows down hill and the traffic detroys the top like a mud bash.

Hi Josh i collected a few smaller trunks 4 months ago and the have been hacked back once and are i need of chopping again . These buggers grow like weeds if watered and fertilized well . All good future material with a bit of luck . The temps keep me on watch thats for sure .

Cheers Guys .Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Andrew F , mate this was collected a few months back when i built a new fence . It is around 150mm at the base with multi leaders . Ineed of another trim now . They seem to responde well to ferts and daily watering as this has .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Andrew F , mate this was collected a few months back when i built a new fence . It is around 150mm at the base
P1080895.JPG
P1080894.JPG
with multi leaders . In need of another trim now . They seem to responde well to ferts and daily watering as this has .

Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on January 11th, 2014, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

alpineart wrote:Hi Andrew F , mate this was collected a few months back when i built a new fence . It is around 150mm at the base
P1080895.JPG
P1080894.JPG
with multi leaders . In need of another trim now . They seem to responde well to ferts and daily watering as this has .

Cheers Alpine
Very cool mate, as far as digging them what are the usual do's and donts?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Andrew F , mate the big trunks were fertilized with powerfeed then watered for 3 days , then soak in seasol for 24 hours after digging . The small leafed out trunk was dug with a shovel and left on the terrace for a week before i got around to trimming it back to a clean stump and planting it . The temps were a lot milder than the current temps hence all the watering .No special digging just cut the roots with a branch lopper not an axe as the do break off the stump fairly easy .

Cheers Alpine
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Ray M , These are hollow and unique , the other remaining trunk base is solid so it too has its own character , thats tomorrows job . The highest i have recorded was 48.8 under the shade sails , radiant heat flows up the street creating a killer hot breeze . You could add a couple of degree on top if standing in the sun . Next week i expect the main road to be closed out front as the bitumen melts and flows down hill and the traffic detroys the top like a mud bash.
Hi Alpine,
Wow, that's hot mate. The only times I had that heat was in the Simpson Desert and when I was working in Sudan. Thanks for the update on the trees. Look forward to see how they go.

Regards Ray
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Ray M, It does get a bit warm up this way , hence the use of shade cloth and sails . They range from 30% -90% shade cloth and 95 % U Vblockout shade sails and my trees grow well under the sails .

These were potted up this morning
P1080900.JPG
P1080901.JPG
P1080902.JPG
P1080903.JPG
I manage to get 4 stumps and a large root cutting , don't know if the root cutting will grow but its worth a try .

Cheers Alpine
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Alpine,
Mate, you have some really nice goodies to play with there. It will be good to see how they all develop. The last photo is a great piece of stock. :aussie: :tu:

Regards Ray
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

Always after the big material Alpine. Excellent work my friend.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Ray M , I like that last piece it is very unique , hopefully they will survive this heat .

Hi Brian , Mate as you know big material has to be collected when dropped in your lap as these were . A bit like those Olives .

Cheers Guys .Alpine

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”