Methods for collecting trees

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Methods for collecting trees

Post by Josh »

I had a look and couldn't see a thread with specific details of collecting. Often a newbie asks for info on collecting so thought it would be good to have peoples thoughts in one thread they could look through for ideas on how to collect a tree. This will not cover when to collect as every tree and climate is different. This will just cover the methods people use to collect trees and aftercare. This is by no means the complete list for collecting as I'm sure many will have their own methods and ideas, this is what works for me.

Firstly what I take to a dig.
1. Shovel
2. Maddock
3. Corbar with blade
4. 20 ltr water container
5. 2ltr spray bottle
6. Seasol
7. Saw
8. Secateurs
9. Long handled loppers
10. Ropes
11. Large sheets to tie root ball up in
Digging 2.jpg
Digging.jpg
The first thing I do when digging a tree is remove any unwanted branches. Reduce it to a manageable size. Remember you can't put a branch back on but you can remove more later if needed so be selective but careful. Remember after you dig it and see the nebari the front might not be where you thought.

Then I trench around the base of the tree. How far out depends on the tree and the roots it has along with the age/size. The bigger the tree the further out you have to dig. Generally it is around 1-2 feet from the base of the trunk. If the trunk has good nebari you may want to dig further out so not to damage the nebari. Always dig further out than you need to so you can prune the damaged roots back to a clean cut (do this to all roots).
tree with roots.jpg
Prune back.jpg
How I dig
I trench around the tree with a maddock usually. I clean all loose dirt out of the trench so I can have a look and see what fibrous roots are in the top section. If there are no fibrous roots I might dig a little deeper or cut in on a deeper angle with the crowbar.
Root 1.jpg
Once I have the trench dug I use my crowbar with the blade to ram down on an angle under the tree. I used to have to dig out under the tree which I think is the hardest part. Now I use the bladed crowbar to ram down through the soil and it cuts the roots as it goes. I do this all the way around the tree. If I hit a really big root I might dig that spot only but usually the crowbar will cut most roots. In the case of the peppercorns I used the crowbar to cut the taproot and lift the tree without digging down to deep at all.
root 2.jpg

Once I have gone all around the tree I use the crowbar to lever the tree up and out. If it's still won't move I may tie the tree to my car or another tree and put some tension on it to help pull it out. I stress though I rarely use the rope to simply pull the tree out as you risk splitting the roots and damaging the tree. I use the tension on the rope with the leverage of the crowbar to help move the tree together.
root 3.jpg
Once out I remove excess soil. This will depend on the tree and time of collection as to how much to remove. I generally leave as much on as I can to help keep the roots moist till I get home. I then spray all the roots, foliage and trunk with seasol. I should mention I mix this up before digging so as soon as I'm ready I can spray it.
I then wrap the root ball in a sheet to protect the roots and keep them moist.I usually spray the sheet with seasol before wrapping the tree up. If I have a long drive I may stop and respray foliage and/or roots along the way. Looks funny pulling into a servo with the car full of trees and just spraying seasol into the car. The looks I get :shock: :o

Once I'm home I finish cleaning up the root ball, removing excess soil and prune all damaged roots back to where I want them.
root 4.jpg
root 5.jpg
How much you remove depends on the tree. I try to remove any/all downward facing roots as you don't want them and this allows the tree to go into a shallower pot/box and encourage the roots to grow out.
Once cleaned up they go into a bath of seasol to soak at least overnight. I have baths in my back yard for this but you could make up a batch and put in a tub/bucket. Just make sure all roots are covered. I also spray the foliage again at this point.

I then pot the trees up into there grow/recovery pots/boxes. These usually have a little bit of room around the roots but are usually shallow and wide rather than deep. I water the tree to soak the soil then water again with seasol. I mist the foliage again. I then water with seasol every 2-4 days and mist the foliage regularly.

I then go and wash all my tools ready for the next dig. Keep all your tools sharp, it makes a difference. Always clean up the dig site, don't leave big holes.

Here are some trees I have collected using this method or similar
1.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
5.JPG
1.JPG
7.JPG
24.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG
11.JPG
1.JPG
This is a link to a tree I collected a while back viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17111&hilit=+juniper
Unfortunately this tree didn't make it. I don't think it was anything did wrong, just that fact the day of collection and the following week was high 40's with no break and the tree just couldn't handle it.

Some points when digging.
I would remove more roots from deciduous trees than evergreens.
Some trees like buxus must have leaves to grow so don't prune to hard.
Deciduous trees can handle trunk chopping and digging no worries.
Remember, you can't put roots or branches back on so take more than you need and clean up later.
I don't seal any cuts on roots, except japanese maples.
Always clean up any damaged roots. Nice clean cuts. This helps with regrowth of roots and helps stop decease.
DO NOT let the roots dry out.
Aftercare is as important or more important than collecting. Have everything ready, potting mix, grow boxes/pots, seasol etc.
When your partner asks "when did you get that" just :D and say "oh, that old thing, I've had that for ages" and it should be :tu:

Hope this helps those that haven't collected before and if anyone wants to add their own methods, ideas, opinions feel free to add to this or if you disagree feel free to suggest other options/methods (no I don't class pulling it out with a winch or bobcat as methods :lol: )

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Josh on July 25th, 2014, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
fae
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Methods for collecting trees

Post by fae »

Josh

An excellent detailed explanation of collecting a tree.

Fiona
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Lol, very good and clear - actually feel like I could do this myself!
Only bath we have in the house ... Gonna be tricky sneaking in a tree ... "Oh this old thing? Been there for ages!" Hahahahahaha
I think inhale to work in that side of the plan, lol.

Thank you Josh, excellent write up! I've seen a native tree that has fallen over, may be a good starting point as the roots are now exposed... See how I go.

Cheers
EZ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Great info Josh. Don't forget to add it to the wiki with whatever refinement may come from others input
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Josh. Good idea and Very well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing.
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by IS2SXC »

Would it be okay if I add in a couple of tips I use ??

For trees that I feel are more weaker than normal I put 4 stakes on each corner of the box or pot and just gladwrap the whole thing it makes a kind of green house and after I see shoots I jut open the top ive had great success with this I hope this helps also to the new collecters great advice mate

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”