Chinese Elm Seed Propagation

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Chinese Elm Seed Propagation

Post by Bretts »

I can agree with Asus to some degree about letting the Chinese elms grow in the ground. I have Trident maple and Chinese elm grow wild in my yard from surrounding trees. The tridents are very easy to remove but when I went to remove the elms there was alot of grunting/swearing as the stubborn buggers would not come out.
These where growing where they landed though. Beside pathways and such. Now I tend to pull them like weeds instead of leaving them for a year or two (just in case I want them later :lol: ) as they can be a real bugger to get out. But I see no reason not to plant them out in a dedicated grow area ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

When is a good time to take chinese elm cuttings and is there a maximum thickness that will root well?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I find good results from cuttings in late winter or spring - early summer.
Theoretically no maximum size. I usually take cuttings around pencil - finger thick but last spring I struck a 3 cm thick seiju cutting. The real problem is finding a well shaped piece that thick - most will be straight which is not good for bonsai.
Note that cuttings may not root. layers are far more reliable with thicker material.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Thanks Shibui

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”