air layering mullberry

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

air layering mullberry

Post by Sammy D »

About two years ago tried some cuttings off a mulberry tree and had no success. The leaves would grow then die. And repeat a few times till nothing happened and all was lost. Not sure if hard to get going or just me. Anyway one year ago I thought I would air layer a mulberry at my parents house. Parent trees Age is fourty to fifty years old. I didnt get any photos but layed five branches. I heard on the net wait a month or two and can cut off. Mulberry may be slower not sure but After two months no sign of roots so left it and left it and finally one of the layer s had some roots. Then forgot about the layers for a while till the mulberry tree went dorment for the winter. I must add I never had to do anything to the air layer the whole time since putting it on.. Checked it in winter and all of the layers had roots. I waited till a couple of months ago and cut them all off the main tree amd planted them in the ground. Here is some photos.
PicsPlay_1411983226100.jpg
PicsPlay_1411983315499.jpg
PicsPlay_1411983293121.jpg
I did 4 with spag moss and 1 with regular potting mix and im sorry to tell those buying expensive spag moss there was no difference at all. In fact cheap potting mix may have been better if anything. I then planted them in the groung to settle with fingers crossed they would shoot.
PicsPlay_1411983407906.jpg
PicsPlay_1411983428794.jpg
PicsPlay_1411983453007.jpg
PicsPlay_1411987988924.jpg
PicsPlay_1411988006130.jpg
now to my suprise they are all shooting not bad for first attempt at layering. Although nothing hard about it just patience.lol.
PicsPlay_1411983394124.jpg
PicsPlay_1411983394124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: air layering mullberry

Post by Neli »

I cut branches and stick them in the ground next to the parent tree...they all root.
Job well done! I root all my layers in sand only.
DSC07879 (550x487).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Ent
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ent »

Well done Sammy, they are the start of some nice trees for sure. I have mullberry envy! Please keep updating this thread as they develop. I am not sure why your cuttings didn't work as I understand that they grow from cuttings easily however I have no experience growing them so I will leave advice to the more experienced.

Ent
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Will keep you updated ent not sure what my problem was with cuttings but had no success. Having said that I work work at a vinyard nursery and we root and graft all the time no probs. Also done figs fruit trees olives and more no probs. Who knows. Will update in a couple of months. Hopefully with some leaves and not dead :lol:
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I spent 3 years taking over a dozen cuttings each year, and finally got 2 to root on the third year. So it's not just you sammy, I just think they don't root as easy as other trees ;-) have always loved mulberries, my cuttings are a bit smaller than your layers
Last edited by Phoenix238 on September 30th, 2014, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Update on my layers.
PicsPlay_1415088462038.jpg
PicsPlay_1415088491473.jpg
my plan now is to let them grow for the summer to strengthen and maybe dig them and put into a nursery pot next year to develop branching ? Plenty of time to think :lost:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Sammy D
I took cuttings from a mulberry ( white mulberry )tree my friend was cutting back , i used a mix of 50% coco coir and 50% diatomite fines ( +- 2mm ) from sifting , this was about 20cm deep . i took about 15 cuttings most of about 10 - 15 mm and 4 of about 50mm thick . only one of the thin ones rooted but all 4 of the thick ones rooted and all have grown really strongly the only problem is that they only rooted on one side, could be because i didn't use any rooting hormone. what this means i'm not to sure but was thinking of trying again next year to see the results
regards
peterb
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Hi peter at least you had some grow. Beter than me. Maybe they will grow radial roots in the future or you could ground layer once established. Keep us posted on your success with mulberry cuttings
Timothy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus natalensis
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Timothy »

weird . Here by me i just look at a mullberry cutting and it roots ! I use river sand , but also had success with potting soil ! I always take very thin ones though.
Confucius say : Man who stand on toilet is high on pot !
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Hey all. Dug up one of my five mulberry trees to see how they rooted. Looks like they are doing well since layering. So far haven't done anything at all to this as far as pruning and shaping. This is how it looked on the parent tree. Just layered it for a year. In the ground for another now in a pot
Going to take it slow as its a 40 odd year old branch now being made into a tree.
PicsPlay_1434183093303.jpg
PicsPlay_1434183109420.jpg
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

I dug a couple of my air layers up from the ground today and are happy with how they have grown. On reflection though i would have just put the air layers straight into pots no in the ground. The reason is i do not need to fatten a trunk so there is no reason to put them in the ground. I thought they would recover better and be easier to look after but they needed a lot of water over the summer and were more work than a pot i reckon. Come to the conclusion only plant your trees in the ground to fatten trunks otherwise put the straight into a pot from either air layer or collection. Now after a year in the ground im almost back to square one. Wiring them into a pot for stability and also have to hope they make it and let the tree recover again. If i was to put it in a pot from the start it would be well astablished in the pot and very stable by now. Live and learn ey. Anyway here is a few photos from today
PicsPlay_1435995474649.jpg
PicsPlay_1435995603443.jpg
PicsPlay_1435995619050.jpg
PicsPlay_1435995447508.jpg
PicsPlay_1435995460282.jpg
PicsPlay_1435995435146.jpg
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Update on these three. They have been growing ok but finding it a little hard to reduce the lenght of some of the branches. There has been some back budding but not enough. Also i did a trial and cut three branches back to dormant buds with no green foliage left on and the whole branches died back. (Marked with yellow tape). So looks like for now will just take it easy no drastic cutting. Not quite my usual style lol.
20161118_172138-1600x1200.jpg
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Bit of an update. All 3 are still going well.

Autumn colours
Mulbury.jpeg
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Sam,

Great thread, I've only just read it for the first time. What's your routine for trimming the summer growth?

Cheers,
Matt.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

In general just use consistent pruning. When a shoot gets to about 5 or 7 nodes I cut it back to 1 or 2.
Unless I'm trying to grow out or thicken a branch.
The top I cut back when shoots reach only 4 nodes to try and slow the top down a little.
I allow it to fruit and they sure are yum. :tu:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”