Ground Layer Crabapple

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Ground Layer Crabapple

Post by Ray M »

Hi folks,
The tree is a Crabapple (Malus Profusion). The history of when the layer was applied is a little sketchy. I did it at the School of Bonsai exhibition in October 2014 or at one of the demonstration/workshops I did in the second half of 2014. I removed this ground layer last week. The tree and pot was placed in a tub of Seasol covering the top of the layer. I removed the bottom pot and the mesh around the layer under the water. Keeping the whole bottom half of the tree under water I gently separated the new roots from the original root ball. Once the two root systems were separated I lifted the tree out of the water and cut off the new layer. The layer was placed back in the water as well as the original stock tree. I then prepared the pots and potted the old stock tree and the new layer. I have both in the shade house for now. Our weather has been very hot, so I'll leave them there until I see good recovery.
IMG_9930 -2.jpg
IMG_9931 -2.jpg
IMG_9931 -close - 2.jpg
IMG_9934 -2.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Re: Ground Layer Crabapple

Post by Paul W »

Well done Mr Ray , you are the guru of the air layering method, keep that seasol up in this hot weather that we are having in Sydney, but nowhere near as bad as Adelaide it seems
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Paul W wrote:Well done Mr Ray , you are the guru of the air layering method, keep that seasol up in this hot weather that we are having in Sydney, but nowhere near as bad as Adelaide it seems
Hi Paul,
Good to hear from you. I feel so sorry for the folk in South Australia, there has been so much loss. I can't even start to imagine what it would be like to lose your home and all you possessions.

Regards Ray
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Fantastic Ray, thanks for sharing once again. Ive got quite a few odd ball trees that need a new set of feet next growing season.
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.

Post by fredman »

Very interesting Ray. I have a few ground layers in bonsai soil. My problem is I don't know how much roots have formed. I'm thinking to remove the top layer of soil carefully with a spoon to see. Any better thoughts or ideas?
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

fredman wrote:Very interesting Ray. I have a few ground layers in bonsai soil. My problem is I don't know how much roots have formed. I'm thinking to remove the top layer of soil carefully with a spoon to see. Any better thoughts or ideas?
Hi fredman,
A couple of questions first mate. What species of trees are they? How long have the layers been on the trees? Is the top growth looking very healthy? Have you been feeding the layer with Seasol? Sorry for all the questions. :reading: Is it possible to take some photos?

Regards Ray
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Thanks Ray. I will take some photos and come back to you with the full story :tu:
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

2015-01-09 16.17.21-1.jpg
2015-01-09 16.17.11-1.jpg
Ray the species are... Grewia occidentalis, Sophora tetraptera and a Acer osakazuki. They have all been on since mid Sept. All the top growths are going bonkers. I have been feeding Seasol regularly. I even gave them some organic ferts now and again.
I also had a Pyracantha air layer that I took off 3 weeks ago. It was easy. No guessing as the roots were growing out the pot top and bottom. :tu:
I hope you can make something out from the photos as i'm not a great photographer. Think its a bit sunlit..... :palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

fredman wrote:
2015-01-09 16.17.21-1.jpg
2015-01-09 16.17.11-1.jpg
Ray the species are... Grewia occidentalis, Sophora tetraptera and a Acer osakazuki. They have all been on since mid Sept. All the top growths are going bonkers. I have been feeding Seasol regularly. I even gave them some organic ferts now and again.
I also had a Pyracantha air layer that I took off 3 weeks ago. It was easy. No guessing as the roots were growing out the pot top and bottom. :tu:
I hope you can make something out from the photos as i'm not a great photographer. Think its a bit sunlit..... :palm:
Hi mate,
Seeing they have been on since September, and the top growth looks quite good, I suspect they are ready to remove. Just to be on the safe side, remove the rocks and give the layers a real good soaking. Using a chop stick or similar and ease the top soil and see where the roots start. I highly suspect they will be ready to remove. Please let us know what you find. :clap: :clap: :fc: :fc:

Regards Ray
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fredman »

Cheers Ray. I will be back :cool:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”