Air Layering a Mel...

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Air Layering a Mel...

Post by RevoEvoS »

Is there a reason with wire over the wood for air layering?
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

RevoEvoS wrote:Is there a reason with wire over the wood for air layering?
In reference to what mate? Do you mean the twist ties that are in the last two pictures?
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Revo,
I have closely followed the technique that was suggested by RayM, which involved putting a wire just above the top cut as illustrated. I know he has done extensive research & countless layers so I trust this, my understanding is it helps in the development of roots in a more timely manner and also results in a more even spread of roots around the circumference of the cut... Better nebari!!?! The thickness of the wire is important as is positioning it as closely to the top of the cut as possible.
Like I have said, this is my first layer, so maybe somebody with more experience/knowledge can either correct or second what I have said.
Hope that helps
:beer:
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by RevoEvoS »

Jason wrote:
RevoEvoS wrote:Is there a reason with wire over the wood for air layering?
In reference to what mate? Do you mean the twist ties that are in the last two pictures?
after you removed the bark
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by RevoEvoS »

Ryceman3 wrote:Hi Revo,
I have closely followed the technique that was suggested by RayM, which involved putting a wire just above the top cut as illustrated. I know he has done extensive research & countless layers so I trust this, my understanding is it helps in the development of roots in a more timely manner and also results in a more even spread of roots around the circumference of the cut... Better nebari!!?! The thickness of the wire is important as is positioning it as closely to the top of the cut as possible.
Like I have said, this is my first layer, so maybe somebody with more experience/knowledge can either correct or second what I have said.
Hope that helps
I think I understand. Rather than no wire it will grow downwards and with wire it will spread the roots out horizontally when its ready to cut.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Ryceman3 and RevoEvoS,

The following is from another post I did concerning the subject of the wire. Creating New Roots
The wire is not there to prevent the layer healing itself. The layer is prevented from healing by two things. The distance the top and bottom cuts are apart and the removal of all the cambium.
So, what does the wire do :?: :?:
First, the wire is not necessary on all species of trees. This idea came about when trying to find a way to deal with trees that tend to callus rather than develop roots. Have a look at the photo below. If you have a close look at where the red arrows are indicating, you will see the beginning of callusing but roots have also developed.
You will notice that the callus has hit the wire and not folded down. In conjunction with this I believe the callus is irritated by the wire helping it to shoot roots.
Callus.jpg
Image-4.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks for the better explanation Ray,
I think the part about the irritation creating roots you mention was what I was trying to say (badly) by explaining the roots appear "in a more timely manner"... I have read that thread with the pics you posted, would have been better to post a reference to it rather than provide my own explanation I think, but glad you did in any case! Much appreciated!
I'm sure I read somewhere the nebari is improved with the wire also, I think it was on the net... But honestly it might've just been trying to say the chance of viable roots (and therefore nebari) is increased with a wire.
In any case, thanks for the clarification. :beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Update:
Checked out these layers today as I was down there, saw definitive root progression in 2 of the 3 layers I placed... progress is slow but I think there is progress! Still need to bulk out with more before I consider taking them off, doubt I'll be doing that for a bit - Spring most likely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ryceman3 on June 8th, 2015, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Looking very promising Ryce!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Looking very promising Ryce!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers mate.
Slow & steady wins the race, that's what I keep reminding myself! Happy they are going somewhere though, air layering is a lot of fun in that sense! It'll be an historic day when I finally pull them of...
:tu:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yep. Beautiful Mel this one. Good luck with it. Watching with interest too. :tu2:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Ryceman3,
Great to see some activity going on with the roots mate. You need to see quite a lot more roots before removing the layers. You mentioned leaving them till Spring. I would agree with you 100%, it is a game of patience.

Regards Ray
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Rory wrote:Yep. Beautiful Mel this one. Good luck with it. Watching with interest too. :tu2:
Ray M wrote:Hi Ryceman3,
Great to see some activity going on with the roots mate. You need to see quite a lot more roots before removing the layers. You mentioned leaving them till Spring. I would agree with you 100%, it is a game of patience.

Regards Ray
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm feeling like there is something happening now and that's exciting... But I'll definitely be hanging on until I see more development before they come off.

Should I expect root development to continue at a good rate over the winter period or will it slow down until weather warms up a little do you think? I have no idea, hoping you can fill me in.

Cheers! :beer:
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm feeling like there is something happening now and that's exciting... But I'll definitely be hanging on until I see more development before they come off.

Should I expect root development to continue at a good rate over the winter period or will it slow down until weather warms up a little do you think? Growth will certainly slow over winter. With our Australian native they can have several growing spurts in one year, so just keep your eye on them and see how they go. I have no idea, hoping you can fill me in.

Cheers! :beer:
Regards Ray
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Another update for those that have watched these layers progress. Checked these out last weekend and 2 of the 3 are still looking good. Lots more root growth since I last investigated (in June) and hopefully enough as the property owner really wants to lop this tree back soon as it is pushing hard on his fence ... I'm hoping another few weeks will be OK with him (just until the weather warms up a little and those roots can get a bit thicker). Any advice on special treatment that might be beneficial when removing mel air layers would be appreciated!

Hopefully the attached pics show the root progression since June.

Cheers

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”