JBP Seeds

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

JBP Seeds

Post by Webos »

Hi Guys,
Just wondering how big Japanese Black Pine seeds are...I collected about 50 cones today off of a mature JBP today and they have seeds inside of them but the ones I've pulled out so far have been tiny...about 1mm in length. Is this normal or would they be immature? If anyone is able to take some photos of JBP seeds next to a matchstick or a coin or something, it would be greatly appreciated.

Next question...Whats the best way of getting the seeds out of the cone? I've heard of heating them in the oven until they open...How hot? How long?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: JBP Seeds

Post by Bretts »

Those seeds sound a bit small to me. This picture should give you a good idea of the size.
http://www.bonsaione.com/product_pictur ... _flyer.jpg
I would say 4-5mm x 2-3mm.
I have c ollected alot of pine seeds in the cone and followed the instructions I found on the internet haphazardly. I thought I had over cooked them but I have had plenty of germination after.
I put them in the oven at around the 180 for about 10mins I think. You will see when they start to open but let them go a bit longer the ease of getting them out when they open right up is worth it.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”