Dangers of a Wet Layer

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Dangers of a Wet Layer

Post by Ray M »

Hi Bonsaiforest,
Good on you mate. :clap: Looks like you've done a good job. Trust the tree will power on for you.

Regards Ray
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey thanks Ray... After this being successful I now have the confidence to tackle more air layers in the future. :tu:
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Bonsaiforest wrote:Hey thanks Ray... After this being successful I now have the confidence to tackle more air layers in the future. :tu:
Hi Bonsaiforest,
The trick is to take your time and make sure you remove all the cambium from the ringbark, and make very clean cuts, especially on the top cut.
Missing a space of about an inch in the front and another 1/2inch to the left of that You may not have removed all the cambium at these two spots. This is only a suggestion, because if you did get all the cambium off that may just be the nature of that tree. I have had roots not form all around a layer and I know I have definitely removed all the cambium.
Regards Ray

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”