Dangers of a Wet Layer

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Dangers of a Wet Layer

Post by Ray M »

Hi folks,
I thought I should post this information. As mentioned below, I haven't finished the research as yet. I will update as I find more information. I intend to email this information to all the members who have purchased any of my books.

Dangers of a Wet Layer
I have been researching this issue for eighteen months or more. My research shows that a Wet Layer is more detrimental to an Air Layer than a dry layer. I'm still researching this subject, so my data is not complete as yet.
The following information will show what results from a wet layer, and what I am doing to address this issue. Please remember, this research is not complete.
IMG_0060 -2.jpg
IMG_0063 -2.jpg
I have applied the following two procedures to try and prevent this from happening.

SEALING THE ENDS OF THE LAYER
IMG_0067 -V-2.jpg
IMG_0067 -3.jpg
IMG_0068 -3.jpg
IMG_0070 -4.jpg
Saving the Layer
Can the layer be rescued? The answer is yes, as long as there is still good growth on the layer.
1. Remove the plastic, sphagnum moss, muck and wire.
2. Clean the area with a spray bottle.
3. Make a new cut above the old top cut until you can see new tissue.
4. Now do all the other steps to complete the new layer.
5. Make sure you squeeze most of the water out of the sphagnum. Don't have it too wet.
6. After the layer is completed seal the end/ends as described above.
7. Make sure you leave the Alfoil open at the bottom. This prevents water gathering in the Alfoil, which can wick up into the layer.

Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Dangers of a Wet Layer

Post by Raymond »

:clap: :clap: Once again, RayM has delivered. Thanks mate!
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Raymond wrote::clap: :clap: Once again, RayM has delivered. Thanks mate!
Hi Raymond,
Thanks mate. Please remember that this is still in the research stage. Hopefully it will help to deal with one problem with layers. I have a few experiments going at present testing effects on layers.

Regards Ray
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

I can attest to the dangers of a wet layer. It's so hot and dry here, that I made an extra effort to make sure my crepe myrtle layers didn't dry out last summer. :palm:

When I went to separate them, I did indeed have roots, but they had already started rotting and turning black. Due to the fact that I was trying to layer the top off of a 5 meter tree that my wife had been at me to get out of the yard, I wasn't particularly motivated to try again, so I separated it and hoped for the best. Now it's firewood. :shock: The height contributed to the problem, because it was hard to check on (had to borrow my neighbor's ladder to get up there), so I set it up almost the opposite of what Ray is describing, so I could just squirt water up there and make sure it was wet. No bueno.

So my experience aligns with what Ray is saying - too wet is not your friend. Sphagnum and much will hold a lot of moisture, so have faith in it.
Cheers, Karl
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Thanks Ray. My layers were definitely not to wet. If anything I was worried it might be on the dry side. I opened the foil regularly to check by feeling and lightly squeezing especially the bottoms. I had a dowel pin in there and checked it once per week. Im used to checking my bonsais that way. When you hold the dowel to your lower lip you can safely judge how wet or dry it is.... :yes: After about 3 months I had to inject water into it for the first time.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

Hi Ray

Do you have any research that might test the relationship between aeration and the success of layer?
Would a Wet Layer causing failure related to the lack of oxygen just like how everything dies when water are starved of oxygen in rivers and lakes (from excessive rotting materials)?

Following this thread with interest.

Regards
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
fredman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia. Acer. Satsuki.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by fredman »

Mmm now there is a thought...
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Could you use some sort of geotextile?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

longd_au wrote:Hi Ray

Do you have any research that might test the relationship between aeration and the success of layer?
Would a Wet Layer causing failure related to the lack of oxygen just like how everything dies when water are starved of oxygen in rivers and lakes (from excessive rotting materials)?

Following this thread with interest.

Regards
Hi longd_au,
No I don't. That said I have found that the layers encased in the plastic have, mostly been successful.

These are a few photos.
DSCN0159-3.jpg
IMG_4868 -3.jpg
IMG_4873 -3.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Jarad wrote:Could you use some sort of geotextile?
Hi Jarad,
I think you would loose to much moisture. There needs to be a balance between enough moisture and not completely dry. The way I check my layers, is to examine them by removing the Alfoil and inspecting the moisture content. If you can see condensation there is sufficient moisture. If there is no condensation and the sphagnum is looking white there is most probably not enough moisture. If the layer looks like this and you gently squeeze the layer it will tend to be fairly firm.

Regards Ray
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Interesting thread Ray,
You've got me a bit worried about over-compensating with too much moisture when I found my Mel layers a little dry a few weeks back. Although the description you give for a dry layer in your last post was pretty spot on with what I found when I removed the foil... so guess I was right to add moisture, I just hope it wasn't too much! :fc:
I'll head back down to check em out soon and keep my thread updated. Thanks for your continued info/wisdom & advice on this forum... always learning something from your posts!
Cheers! :yes:
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi all,
I have gained some more data for this experiment. The following photo shows some of the layers I removed on 2 April 2015. These layers were placed on the tree a couple of months ago. It appears that the sealing of the ends of the layers is working the way I had hoped for. You will notice that the layers are more white in colour. They weren't dry, there was still enough moisture to keep them healthy. I went over to a friends place a week or so ago and found that she had injected some layers and made them too moist. When the layers are too moist the colour will be a brown colour and if you gently squeeze the layer you will see water inside the plastic. As long as there is condensation inside the plastic that is sufficient moisture. If you have a look further up in the thread, where I opened up one of the wet layers, you will notice how brown the layer looks. I redid this layer, sealing the ends, and it has worked very well. It is one of the layers in the photo. I still have some layers on at home and two other locations. When I gain the data from these I should be able to come to a final conclusion and write up the complete document.
Image7-2.jpg
Regards Ray
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Awesome Ray,
I've been told (a while back) that you should only cut the layer off when the roots are brown - is that the 'brown' you are talking about or that something completely different?

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi EZ,
CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Awesome Ray,
I've been told (a while back) that you should only cut the layer off when the roots are brown That's not necessarily correct. Brown roots are usually caused by the layer not being covered, and the sun has either scorched the roots or the roots have matured. The colour can also be influenced by the species of tree. If you look at the roots of the layers in the photos you will see they are quite white. I look for a good root mass rather then the colour. Once I have a good root mass I will cut the layer off. - is that the 'brown' you are talking about or that something completely different? No mate, the brown I am referring to is the colour of the moss

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Regards Ray
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

Thank you RayM,

sounds like why my fig didn't take to the air layering I put on. Twice. I might have kept it too wet.
Great to have an explaination after all my attempts.

Great To have the Master explain to us all. Great data.

Cheers
Rae :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”