What % chance it will survive

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

What % chance it will survive

Post by longd_au »

Hi
I am interested to hear what you think of the chance this peppercorn will survive the dig.
It was in the way of a new driveway and I offered to dig and take it home. That was in early January this year.

It has now been nearly 2 months and all the leafs and smaller twigs have dried and fallen off.
However, 4 small shoots emerged a few weeks ago and have continued to stay green. I know much of it can be from stored energy.
I am not sure how easily peppercorn grow new roots from having large roots cut off.
The base of this tree measure around 15cm and height to the first branch is similar.

What do you think of it's chance of survival in it's current state?

Let me know if you need more information.
peppercorn2.jpg
peppercorn1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by longd_au on March 7th, 2016, 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: What % chance it will survive

Post by longd_au »

I know this is a difficult question.
My real question is, can stored energy last for 2 months or is it surviving on new roots?

I have another 40 yrs old jasmine stump that was dug with almost no roots. After 3 months, it didn't do much except for some small shoots that stayed green but also not growing strong.
A few days ago, I picked up the pot to inspect and was surprised to see it anchored to the ground by some roots that have grown through the drainage holes.

Has anyone else have experience with recovering old stumps and how long it takes to feel confident it has made it?
Dennis
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

longd_au wrote:I know this is a difficult question.
My real question is, can stored energy last for 2 months or is it surviving on new roots?

I have another 40 yrs old jasmine stump that was dug with almost no roots. After 3 months, it didn't do much except for some small shoots that stayed green but also not growing strong.
A few days ago, I picked up the pot to inspect and was surprised to see it anchored to the ground by some roots that have grown through the drainage holes.

Has anyone else have experience with recovering old stumps and how long it takes to feel confident it has made it?
Hi longd_au,
The question you ask depends on so many things. What species, how many roots, what soil is it in, is it shady or sunny, is it windy, what is the watering regime, has it had anything added to the water, and I guess I've missed another dozen questions.
I would certainly give it a drink of Seasol a couple of times a week.
I can't see to much with the photo, but is does look as if there is a small branch appearing. If this is so, that may be a good sign. Could you take a close up photo of the foliage? That may help to see how it is responding.

Regards Ray
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Thanks Ray. I will take a few more pics tonight.
Here is a summary of the tree's life in my care:
- dug first week of January 2016(driveway going in the following week)
- transported home with roots system covered in water for an hour journey
- on arrival soaked in seasol for 2 days
- planted in current wooden pot using what I had at the time (premium mix with some scoria and diatomite)
- kept moist and humid with a sprinkler that runs every 3 hrs for one minute (everyday)
- seasol every few days (when ever I remember but at least once a week)
- in a sunny position but covered with 4 layers of 30% shade

I should have taken a picture of the root system but time wasn't on my side. The best I can describe is there were about 5 bit roots around 5cm in diameter and I cut them all off.

I know why peppercorns survives in all kinds of conditions. Their root system goes deep and far. There were almost no fine root on the surface.
Last edited by longd_au on March 7th, 2016, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Dennis - I'm a glass half full sort of person and I think there is a good chance of survival, and I'm going with 80% survival chance. Your current regime looks good.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Thanks Watto. I hope you're right.
Ray, as promised, here are a few more pics. Hopefully indicating a high survival chance.
IMG_20160307_191138.jpg
IMG_20160307_191126.jpg
IMG_20160307_191058.jpg
IMG_20160307_191045_20160307211858293.jpg
Sorry, the last pic isn't really very helpful. Basically, there are 4 small shoots that look quite healthy but extends really slowly.
They have been there for about 3 weeks.

What do you think? 80% chance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Dennis,
I am looking at the heavy branches as well as the new shoots. The heavy wood appears to have good live tissue so I think it will survive. Keep the Seasol up to it. Don't be tempted to fertilize at this stage. Wait until you have significant new growth.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on March 7th, 2016, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Thanks for the tips Ray. Will stick to the routine.
Feeling a bit more confident with your opinion.
Fingers crossed for this long term project.
Dennis
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have collected a few of these and you are doing everything right. They can and do survive on stored energy so don't panic if you suffer dieback on the present growth. Mine took 4-6 months to come back and i lost a few in the process. Don't freak out when you work on the root system later as they bleed red, which i found a bit alarming. Once it is up and growing be prepared for a long haul and you have to cut back hard for new growth. you also need a male/female to get fruit and to sum up, not a great subject unless you can get them to produce peppercorns and i have only seen one that made me want to continue. That was a bendigo tree that had fruit on it.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by longd_au »

Thanks Bodhidharma.
Bleeding red sounds interesting.
I have another peppercorn I grew from a tiny seedling and in 3 yrs, has grown a base of over 10cm and has been cut down every year to maintain smaller wounds.
Every year, I move some dirt away from the base, hunt for some big roots on one side (left or right) and cut them all down to a stub. This method doesn't seem to slow them down at all and because of this, I am thinking have I missed a vertically downward major root that is supporting the tree.
I don't remember seeing them bleed red but I might not have stay around long enough to see the bleeding. I also didn't see this one bleed red during the dig. The branches did bleed white sap which I spread over the wound as cut paste.

If this one survives, I have two tree with very different approaches and will compare the outcome in time.

Thanks again for all your opinions and tips.
Dennis

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”