Acer Palmatum Germination...

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Re: Acer Palmatum Germination...

Post by thoglette »

Luke308 wrote:Fresh seeds are best -
Anyone know a supplier of seed either in WA or (legally) able to ship to WA?
sirstiv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by sirstiv »

My seedlings are supposed to sprout in 10 or so days.

Today I was at a park reserve in Sydney (Caringbah) and I came across a beautiful giant tree... small maple red leaves (from autumn) they were a fiery/brown red.

The tree was full of seeds on it's branches. Nice and fresh!

The tree looked like a great specimen. I took a handful of seeds. Planted em. See what happens ;).

Seeing as it's Winter, they won't be going in the fridge.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

My seedlings are supposed to sprout in 10 or so days.
I hope your seeds are aware of their obligations. Don't be surprised if they don't fall into line. Plants respond more to seasonal conditions and temps than to the calendar. Temps need to be correct for germination. You are in Sydney so maybe they will germinate early but I don't think any will be starting down here for another month or so.

Please let us know how the new seeds germinate without stratification in Sydney climate. There are different opinions about whether it is necessary or not and you can possibly give us an answer.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sirstiv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sirstiv »

The ebay seeds that are nearing 90 days ... the ones that i left outside - some currently have slightly opened shells. Don't see a sprout yet, but if it will happen... then hopefully soon lol.

Will keep you updated on my fresh seed via natural method. (with initial soaking)
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I've said it elsewhere, but here near Coffs Harbour on the mid north coast on NSW, I have sown fresh seed at the same time as stratifying and all the direct sown seed came up before the statified seed sprouted. They also had less issues with growth afterwards. Our property hasn't had a frost in the 5 years I've lived here although open paddocks around me have had light frosts. This was seed that came from Neil(Shibui) in a much colder climate. This was also true for tridents and Acer pentapyllum.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
sirstiv
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sirstiv »

Hello everyone.

I have an update. My story goes as follows:

I began a project just shy of a year a go to grow a maple bonsai (japanese). I must have gone through 30 seeds (from ebay) each planted throughout 90 day intervals. (via fridge method)

It just wasn't and isn't happening.
However. I went to Camelia Gardens (NSW) just shy of 60 days ago for a fun day with my fiancee.

I saw an incredibly tall (about 2 meters) and beautiful Japanese Maple (assuming) with it's amazing autumn colours and small leaves near the cafe there.

I picked 4 seeds only and lost one. So I planted 3 of them after soaking them for 24hrs. They remained outside in tiny pots in a perfectly timed and natural winter. Here is the result... today I found one had germinated. I only needed one. It's true! Fresh seed is best :D.

Satisfaction from choosing your own seed combined with good memories? 10/10. ‪#‎planted‬
maple.jpg
(meanwhile my ebay fridge seeds still remain in there... 120+days.)

I DID have luck with another ebay seed in the fridge but only ever got 1/30 in the batch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm sure if you're after fresh seed you'll have no trouble finding trees all around Sydney and the Blue Mountains... not only that, but some of our very own members usually sell it. Ebay can be a trap, especially when you're after seeds, because you're supposed to leave feedback before you know you've got a dud!

Good luck with your new germination!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”