Quarantine restrictions and procedures

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Quarantine restrictions and procedures

Post by Bretts »

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that was a collection of information about transporting plant material nationally and internationally.

Here is a start with a very handy Import Conditions Database from AQIS This is the bible of Importing seed tissue culture and nursery stock. If a species is not listed it has not been accessed and is not allowed entry. A request to asses a non listed species can be lodged.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Re: Quarantine restrictions and procedures

Post by FlyBri »

Bretts wrote:Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that was a collection of information about transporting plant material nationally and internationally
Well played, Brettles! I hope anybody with relevant information will post here (myself included).

Thanks!

Fly.
techpetal
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP, Figs, Cedars
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club of Self Discovery!

Post by techpetal »

Nice one Brett,

was going to start one earlier today (eh Fly!) but kids got hold of me.

I know I can bring trees into NSW from the rest of australia (WA and TAS can't) but is there specific paperwork/permits?

Tech
Last edited by techpetal on September 19th, 2009, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whilst walking through the forest of Bonsai Myths, I found a single small tree.
From it I learned all I needed to know.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

Gday folks!

Trying to do my bit for Victorians here...

Importing Into Victoria

Exporting From Victoria

And nationally, this should help http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/
techpetal
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP, Figs, Cedars
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club of Self Discovery!

Post by techpetal »

Hey Fly,

That is a really good site you posted. I have requested the details for what is required for a Ficus transport from Victoria to NSW (for some reason)...you guys just know that I'm trying to fuse figs at the moment.... :lol:

Cheers
Tech
Whilst walking through the forest of Bonsai Myths, I found a single small tree.
From it I learned all I needed to know.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by FlyBri »

techpetal wrote:I have requested the details for what is required for a Ficus transport from Victoria to NSW (for some reason)...you guys just know that I'm trying to fuse figs at the moment.... :lol:
Gday TechP!

Funny that: I emailed today to see what the requirements were for me to become accredited to (legally) post Bonsai interstate... Hopefully the non-privatized bits of our bureaucracy reply to emails more quickly and effectively than - say - Telstra... :evil:

Fingers crossed...

Fly.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

I have imported from china before and that was briefly covered in my china fig thread. Im also in the process of importing phemphis from Bali into aus. Nationally in queensland there is current no restrictions bringing in or out trees across border. That includes celtis which is classed as a pest yet travels through this border without question. Flights can be different if you bring a tree on a passanger plane as carry lugguge . Security may question which state you got it from and seems it depends who you get at the door. Ive only been asked once about it and didnt have to provide paperwork. Its a grey area and i dont think they really know either :?
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

you would almost need to have a commercial purpose for importing or a heap of passion, not so cheap :(
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I received my third shipment of Carpinus Orientalis seeds today.
The first shipment arrived last Winter from Europe and I was surprised to find they where tiny under 1mm. I was a little suss on this as other Hornbeam seeds I had been sent from America Misho Bonsai seeds in past years where closer to 4mm. I went a head and stratified them but they did not germinate.
I chased up more seeds this year and received some from Croatia from the guys that have been collecting some great aged specimens of this species.
When they turned up about a month ago I was not surprised to see they where the same size as the ones from Misho about 4mm. I split the seeds with Ray Nesci and we have about 10 each so hopefully one of us gets some germination out of these.
I also have had a 100g shipment on order since December from a company in France B and T seeds, although I later found out the supplier ws getting them from America. After some discussion with the supplier they finally turned up today. The first thing I noticed was a sticker by Aqis. Opened for inspection by Quarantine. I was a little concerned as non-commercial seeds of this species do not need any paperwork when importing but being a 100g that worked out to about 1000 seeds so maybe that is pushing non commercial limits? Obviously there was no issue as the seeds arived with the addition of a couple of Aqis pamphlets on what is allowed!
So I eagerly opened them up to see that these seeds are now bigger 5-6mm and a little different than the Hornbeam seeds I am used to and the other seeds that are meant to be Carpinus Orientalis that came from the guys in Croatia :?
Carpinus Orientalis is going into the 100 gardens project in Canberra and B and T Seeds is the same Supplier that the Nursery contracted to supply those trees used to get thier seeds.
Hmm Very confused I might call B and T Seeds again and see what they have to say.
Also I guess I should chase up the contact of the nursery supplying the seedlings to the 100 Forests project. Now where did I write down those details :|
Last edited by Bretts on May 17th, 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Naym
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Naym »

I think that with domestic quarantine even though many plants/trees species are ok, soil is almost always restricted. This is a problem unless you are importing bareroot or in media.

Does anyone know the details about soil and how it applies to potted trees?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
bingh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 42
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by bingh »

You might try Richard Poli from the Bimer Society - he works in the game

Brian
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Naym my understanding is that anything you bring in must be bare rooted. This has been done succesfully with some species such as Fig and trident.
Hey Brian can you tell us any more about what Richards game is?
bingh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 42
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by bingh »

He works at AQIS

Brian
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Was just checking some info for a member and thought I better add the link here for transporting between states.
http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/de ... s-act.html
This covers all states. Every state I have checked so far is able to import nursery stock into NSW as long as it is in comercial potting mix but double check for yourself!

The link you have above no longer works Fly (doesn't for me anyway) also I think this should be in importing and collecting can we move it over Mods!
Cheers :)

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”