Germination tips

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Germination tips

Post by Starfox »

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what other peoples methods for germinating small fine native seed are as I have really struggled to get any to come up this year and my Mum just arrived with a few packs of seed for me and I really would like some to come up.

The seeds I'm struggling to germinate are...

Leptospermum Scoparium, some Melaleucas, and a few different types of Eucalyptus.

I know some Eucs require stratification but it's the germination part that is failing me, generally I google the process and follow it but wonder if there are any tried and tested methods I could be using.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Germination tips

Post by dansai »

I'm not sure about Leptospermum scoparium, but most fine seed i've tried from the Myrtaceace family like Eucs, Mels and Leptospermums I've always just sprinkled on the surface of some propagating mix, given protection with good light and kept moist and have always had good success, always more than I can use.

Might be helpful if you told us what you are doing :?:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Pretty much exactly that, sprinkle on the soil and lightly cover with fine sand, when that didn't work I tried not covering them. I have tried both inside and out of a prop box too. The ones that came up did so in the box but only lasted a day or two.
Also have tried regular potting mix and a mix with perlite, vermiculite and soil.

Also I have tried indoors and outdoors, the temperature now rarely drops below 20°c at night, could it be too hot?
Last edited by Starfox on June 10th, 2016, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

where is you're seed coming from?
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

This is a good question, I had ordered a bunch from amazon so some come from Germany, Bulgaria and the UK. So it is entirely possible the seed may be duff although other species from the same sellers are going alright. No idea where or when they actually got them from in the first place though.

That said the bunch my Mum brought over for me are from Royston Petrie in NSW and were packed in May this year so I suspect they should be alright. There seem to be quite a lot to play with to so I can experiment.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Most seed is generally quite easy - they have managed without any help for millions of years.

Few natives need stratification. Only species from really cold climates have adapted to postpone germination until the really cold winter is past. our natives love the mildness of Aussie winters and do most of their growing in the cooler months.

Even though you're in Spain I'd try some of the great Aussie seed suppliers here. They have access to fresh seed and fresh is best.

I suspect that the humidity inside your propagating box was too high. All seedlings are susceptible to Damping Off - a fungal disease. Good air circulation and sunlight are the best preventative.

In general:
use seed raising mix for seeds. It is free of pathogens and fert, both of which can hurt germinating seed (note that Dansai mentions 'Propagating mix'). Potting mix is full of fungi and other microorganisms. Some are beneficial, others are nasty. Only use potting mix with very resilient species. The problem with seed raising mix and prop mix is no nutrients so when the seedlings are a week or 2 old you do need to start fertilising or prick out into good potting mix. Having said that, Eucs, Mels and Leptos are so resilient they will grow in almost anything.
Just cover seed with enough mix to hold the seed while the radicle (new root) pushes into the mix. Cover seed with about 1-2 seed thickness. That means with very fine seed no cover or just the finest sprinkle of covering. Many seeds will make it through more cover but some just cannot make it. There are some species that need light to germinate but the ones you've mentioned are not among them.
Don't use tiny containers for seed raising. They dry out too quick. Sow your seed in larger seedling flats or 10-15 cm pots. Drying out can be a problem in warmer areas. Many growers use the 'bog' method to germinate seed - plant as normal in seed raising mix but keep the seed trays sitting in very shallow water or on wicking beds so they can't get too dry.
I find best results outside. Lack of light inside for most plants so I find best germination outside - just find somewhere with some shelter from strong wind and harsh afternoon shade.
20C should not be too hot. Temp sensitive natives germinate best around 15-20C but most will grow whenever adequate moisture is present. Commercially, summer is the preferred seed sowing time but that's only because it will give a good sized, saleable seedling by autumn/winter which is the best plant out time for Aussie natives.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Thanks!

Yeah I did suspect there was too much humidity in the box which is why I tried without and it's possible there was not enough moisture then.
Think I will give the bog method a try outside though. Just to clarify on the temps it is 20°C at night 30°C in the day but I can find a nice sheltered spot with morning sun.

I'm a bit wary of having seed sent over from Oz as I'm not exactly sure just what can and cannot be imported here and I know many Aussies here are considered a pest, plus customs are a nightmare but like I said I did get a care package from Royston Petrie, there must be a million odd seeds in the few packets I got which will likely see me through.

Out of interest these are the species I have

Mels, Incana/Stypheliodes/Alternifolia
Eucs, Incrassata/Microtheca/Marginata/Leptophelba/Camaldulensis
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I understand the problems of quarantine and biosecurity. Just thought the Spanish would not be strict. They have already imported most of the world's pests and diseases many years ago.

All the Melalucas and Euc camaldulensis should be easy enough to grow (red gums germinate in my pots like weeds and quickly outgrow the original inhabitant. Now there's a likely pest species for you :palm: one of our Aussie Icons)
The northern and western Eucs can be a bit more tricky. They grow well enough in their own habitat but do not seem to thrive in other climates. Hopefully your area of Spain will have the right mix of temp an moisture at the correct time of year for them. I have not even heard of the species let alone tried to grow them so no practical advice from me on those ones
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Here is a link to some information about germinating Melaleuca which I found recently http://anpsa.org.au/melaleuc.html
There is another link at the bottom which gives some more techniques for other Australian natives. Good luck :fc:
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Cheers guys for the input!

I switched my mix to coco fibre with some perlite and vermiculite and move everything outside into partial shade in single trays and I have had good success now.
Far more Eucs, Mels and Leptos than I know what to do with but I will thin them out at some point.
shibui wrote:
The northern and western Eucs can be a bit more tricky. They grow well enough in their own habitat but do not seem to thrive in other climates. Hopefully your area of Spain will have the right mix of temp an moisture at the correct time of year for them. I have not even heard of the species let alone tried to grow them so no practical advice from me on those ones
The northern ones are the ones I am more concerned with but there is a guy who gets Rainbow Eucs to grow in Spain so maybe I can keep them alive.
If not then live and learn.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Well done Starfox :tu:
BUT.....
Germination is only the first hurdle. You now have to overcome: damping off (fungal attack); Nutrient problems (too little, too much, incorrect ratio, etc.); Pricking out (transfer seedlings to individual pots); Water (too little/ too much); Sun; Heat and a few other aspects and you will really have
Far more Eucs, Mels and Leptos than I know what to do with
:(

Once you get going it gets easier but can be a real learning curve at the start. You'll appreciate why nursery plants are the price they are by the time any of your plants have reached maturity.
moumou
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by moumou »

terryb wrote:Here is a link to some information about germinating Melaleuca which I found recently http://anpsa.org.au/melaleuc.html
There is another link at the bottom which gives some more techniques for other Australian natives. Good luck :fc:
The bog method shown on the propagation page works great for Leptospermum species as they dislike any drying during germination. [url]http:/snows.org.ah/melaleu2.html[/url]
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

shibui wrote:Well done Starfox :tu:
BUT.....
Germination is only the first hurdle. You now have to overcome: damping off (fungal attack); Nutrient problems (too little, too much, incorrect ratio, etc.); Pricking out (transfer seedlings to individual pots); Water (too little/ too much); Sun; Heat and a few other aspects and you will really have
Far more Eucs, Mels and Leptos than I know what to do with
:(

Once you get going it gets easier but can be a real learning curve at the start. You'll appreciate why nursery plants are the price they are by the time any of your plants have reached maturity.

Well that is true, normally I just have a few seedlings to worry about which makes it easier.

I am starting a log book to keep track of what I'm doing, what works and doesn't work and any other relevant info about the species at hand. Thankfully at the moment I'm on hand nearly all the time to keep on top of any problems, biggest issue so far has been the wind drying things out but so far all looks good.
Think I can start pricking out a few this weekend or next.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”