Collecting trees from sandy areas.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Collecting trees from sandy areas.

Post by Andrew F »

Hey guys,

Ive been given a green light to collect some stuff from a property on the Tilligerry peninsula, lots of pest species with a few mels and banksia up for grabs too, all compact stuff due to a bushfire a few years back.

My only concern is lifting the trees, and keeping the rootball intact/not having the feeder roots damaged.

Has anyone collected successfully from pure sand before?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Collecting trees from sandy areas.

Post by shibui »

Not much sand over here Andrew but I actually try to shake off as much field soil as possible when collecting. You will need to remove it at some time anyway and I think that field soil, esp heavier clays actually impedes new root growth in pots. Just :imo:

sandy soil can mean that you'll find few feeder roots, esp closer to the trunk. How to proceed depends on species. many will survive (and actually have a better root system) if you take the plunge and cut roots back hard at time of collection. I have shown this to be true for Callistemon, Olive, Azalea, Trident maple, Banksia. I suspect there are many other species that can have roots reduced severely as well. Mels are a very variable genus. Some sprout easily but others are reluctant. Do you know what 'weeds' you are likely to collect?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

shibui wrote:Not much sand over here Andrew but I actually try to shake off as much field soil as possible when collecting. You will need to remove it at some time anyway and I think that field soil, esp heavier clays actually impedes new root growth in pots. Just :imo:

sandy soil can mean that you'll find few feeder roots, esp closer to the trunk. How to proceed depends on species. many will survive (and actually have a better root system) if you take the plunge and cut roots back hard at time of collection. I have shown this to be true for Callistemon, Olive, Azalea, Trident maple, Banksia. I suspect there are many other species that can have roots reduced severely as well. Mels are a very variable genus. Some sprout easily but others are reluctant. Do you know what 'weeds' you are likely to collect?
Privet, lots of radiata and i may have spotted one or two pyra's. For these Im not so worried but if I were to go after the native stuff Id like to know what Im up against. Rootball implies itll hold its form I doubt this stuff will being that theyve been growing in their own leaf litter until I try and lift them.

Its meant to rain so I was going to go out after that to see if the rootball stays in a cohesive mass.

I pulled a weedy radiata up to have a look and it seems as though they send thick lateral roots out with nothing close to the trunk, I assume that'll be a problem too.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Don't be pessimistic Andrew :D I've just pulled these up and transplanted with whatever roots stayed intact - no soil - and had them survive.
As I said, Banksia should be able to survive drastic root reduction and bare rooting no problem. Not sure what temps you have up there at the moment. I'd prefer to transplant natives when temps are on the warm side. Does not matter about rain or damp soil. Most natives seem to prefer to grow new roots when temps are warm. Down here that means Nov - Feb but I dare say you'd have a little more latitude (or should that be longitude :lol: )
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”