Digging Chinese Elms

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Digging Chinese Elms

Post by Mbunro »

Hi,
First post here.

im a bit of a bonsai newbie, been collecting a few of the more common trees over the last year or so, but am yet to invest in anything sizey.
i have just come across a lady offering a bunch of chinese elms for free not far from where i live.
trees are about 2.5-3m tall with nice thick bases in a partly grassy backyard garden. (will post a photo when i work out how)
can anyone give me any tips on attempting to dig these out.
like should i chainsaw to a stump or attempt to remove the tree as a whole and cut back after and if it survives.

Sorry if none of this makes sence but any and all info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Digging Chinese Elms

Post by Mbunro »

this is the photo i was sent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mbunro , mate use the tree trunk as leverage to pull them out . Dig around the bases about 500mm and severe as many roots as possible , if possible dig underneath and cut the roots growing down . The tree should be easy to remove if not anchored to the ground by the roots . Wash off plenty of soil to lighten the load . Hack the trunks off after digging root prune with nice sharp implements and pot up .

These are like noxious weeds and can be flat bottomed with a saw , they will grow new roots however leave a little bit of foliage /branching on to help grow the new roots if severe root pruning is done . Don't expect them to be instant bonsai it will take a few years to re-develop them .

Best of luck .

Cheers Alpineart
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Thanks Alpineart
Mite have a go at it tommorrow afternoon, and yeah i realise it will take a few years of work but what better time to start than now.

thanks
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Like alpine says, leave the trunk a little long for leverage and cut around the base to sever the roots.
A sharp saw is the go I reckon ( battery Reciprocating saw is the ideal tool) :D

My pin oak was similar and I do not have pics of the collection but this thread has one after initial potting up and its development since then.
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15644&start=0
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Lucky you digging them out of sand. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the old soil off, but the tap roots might be deep... Of course it'll probably mean the lady will just end up with a million more too. If you're kind you could offer to poison the remaining roots with blackberry and tree killer so she doesn't have them coming up any more.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Are you sure they are Chinese elm ? Non bonsai people usually have no idea. I have been asked to remove and poison lots of Chinese elm here in Brissy - they are always Celtis. I have never seen wild going Chinese elm up here.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Craigg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Craigg »

Hi Bougy,

Up around Greenmount, Nobby, and Clifton you can find some if you know where to look. They have been planted along some of the town roads and out into the farming country. Quite a few peaches and plums around too along the creek lines.

But I agree that Celtis is more common.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

thanks for the replies.

bougy all i know is that they are trees... yep, definitely trees.

will post some photos after i go out there this afternoon, and hopefully one of you can give an ID.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”