Who's growing what this year

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Who's growing what this year

Post by NAHamilton »

Last year Jow posted this topic and it's the reason I'm growing from seed. I've got a few Unknown casuarina (collected seed) which are a year off being $2 nursery tubestock. Difference being I knocked out the tap root so they have a better head start. To me that step makes the wait worthwhile. This year I've got casuarina equestifolia and torulosa, eucalyptus nicholli, Mel linirafolia, kunzea ericoides and pohutakawa (coz I'm kiwi. Bledisloe? Haha) thanks Jow, you've got me on my way. Add your own and let's get some masterpieces started.

Cheers,
Nigel
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus

Re: Who's growing what this year

Post by Starfox »

This pic is just a small selection of what I have at the moment.
I have at least 6 species of Eucs on the go, there should be two sp. of Mels but think only one lot has come up, Banksia ericifolia, should be Acacia retinodes and melanoxylon and also Lepto scoparium. Oh and only one little Telopea has sprouted but that is for the garden if it makes it. Not all are shown in that pic however.
Some have done real well and I have lots of while others only a handful came up but most are doing alright.

On the back of that I have just sown some Banksia coccinea, occidentalis and integrifolia plus have some Casuarina equisetifolia and Callistemon salingus/Mel salicina to plant out. I have also had a few all round failures to germinate but have plenty of seed stock to try again. Funnily enough I also have a lack of pots, keep getting more but they get used fairly quickly so if anyone has any ideas aside from ground growing on that point I'm all ears.

Oh and I almost forgot, I have 3 or 4 self sown P. Pinea that I need to pot up very soon, I had not planned on doing pines at all and if I had to choose it wouldn't of been pinea but hey free trees are free trees.

Most of these I will grow out with bonsai in mind but they were also sown with the garden in mind and I would say a number will end up going to a good home via some local garden groups, hopefully.

I realise I'm on opposite seasons to most of you guys but thought I'd share anyway, I should take some more individual photos at some point.
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_0577a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Starfox on August 27th, 2016, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

That's quite a bit you've got on the go Starfox. Pot's do become an issue, as does soil. I'm planning to be quite picky as they go on to bigger pots to save space, time and money. The seeds I bought were off ebay and were sold in the hundreds so unless I open a nursery, I don't think I'll need that many.

Cheers,
Nigel
itsfullofstars
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by itsfullofstars »

My senkaki (sango kaku) japanese maple seeds have germinated at a ridiculous rate this year.
I picked them at the perfect time April 20th and have been stratifying since.
Every little pot in this picture has a seed in it growing yet the ones at the back aren't popping up yet.

On this note, my osakazuki seeds haven't sprouted yet. They've been stratifying longer than 90 days now. The first sango kaku seeds sprouted at about 70 days in fridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by itsfullofstars on September 3rd, 2016, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

I still haven't come to like one species. Love a bit of variety but am going ficus crazy this year. Loads of ficus propagation.
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by toshtony »

I've got some white bark eucalyptus that have sprouted from seed also trying some rainbow euc seeds but only managed 1 to germinate at the moment.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”