Yamadori Grooming

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Yamadori Grooming

Post by Robsterios »

G'day fellow Bonsai Masters...ok, Bonsai Enthusiasts..! No doubt there's some Masters out there - and many that perhaps think they are..
Just a question regarding Yamadori.. I'm thinking about say, A good old Radiata Pine - would it be worth grooming a young "wild" sapling in the ground for several years, perhaps even wiring, pruning for taper, even trunk chopping. This way, the benefits of massive growth but start to apply bonsai techniques with a future Yamadori in mind..
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...
cheers, Rob...
Last edited by Robsterios on October 2nd, 2016, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Yamadori Grooming

Post by shibui »

:imo: :tu:
I have a number of trees on the fringes of the local plantations that I am doing just that with. Once or twice a year I go up and prune them to keep the growth close to the base and to try to induce some movement in the trunks or branches.
There are a couple of consequences to bear in mind:
1. It is possible that the land managers will kill your trees because they are weeds or just because they have not grown properly.
2. Other bonsai nuts may come across your trees, in which case they won't be there next time you get there :evil:
3. Accidental damage from other users - motor bikes, animals, 4X4 yobbos, etc depending where your trees are located.

The point here is not to get too attached or put in excessive time until you have it safely in your personal possession.
I still think it is worth putting in a little effort despite the possible risks.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Post by Robsterios »

Thanks Neil...I thought this may be something that's done...I guess that there's just that other consideration if doing this - to find something that's tucked away and hard to find.
cheers, Rob...
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Do you have a space issue? It would be preferable to grow it in the ground at your place if you have the room. This way you can attend it more regularly, amend the soil, water, fertilise etc. whilst avoiding the concerns Shibui outlined above.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

Are you envisioning doing root work? Assuming you have some space it would be better to take a sapling and grow it at your place (or even a friends place!), then you can do work on the roots. You could find you spend years developing the top only to find disappointment below. A few nasty roots.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

This is an excellent idea. After two years of collecting trees I now often do work on them before I dig. Mostly i let branches grow after a trunk chop, I then cut around the roots and replace some of the original dirt with bonsai soil. I never lose a tree this way. I also regularly take my loppers with me when taking the dogs for a walk so I can prune and chop on the way. A warning councils a the railways have a habit of spraying weeds and clearing just when 'your' trees are looking good.
Cheers
Symon

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”