Ficus seeds failed

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Ficus seeds failed

Post by bonborn »

I started 4 varieties of ficus seeds 7 weeks ago but none took. I used coir peat which I felt retained to much moisture below but surface kept on drying out. Can anyone suggest a better medium and also any other tips please.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ficus seeds failed

Post by shibui »

I was told that ficus seeds need light to germinate so just sprinkle seed on the surface and don't cover them.
Many tropical species do not germinate well if the seed has been dried out so use fresh seed where possible.

I just sow on ordinary potting mix or commercial seed raising mix. If the surface dries out too quick try covering the pot to maintain humidity - cut down soft drink bottle, glass sheet, gladwrap, etc depending on what container you are using. Make sure you remove the cover when they start germinating to lower the risk of damping off - or water more often? Bog method (search APS sites for that) might be useful.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

It is my understanding that each ficus has its own unique wasp or like insect to germinate the seed, if that insect has not been "in" the fruit/ flower it to assist ingermination it will remain unviable.
http://www.fukubonsai.com/1a9a14.html
Hope this helps
Watty
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I agree with Shibui. You should always use a good quality commercial seed raising mix unless you can prepare your own properly. Coco peat is too much of an unknown and may contain pathogens or high salt content or both.
I always use vermiculite on top of the mix. With heavy seed you can cover them and with very fine seed you can sprinkle over the vermiculite. It certainly assists germination and does away with having to cover the seeds with glass or whatever.
Mike

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”