collecting junipers

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Jag001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

Re: collecting junipers

Post by Jag001 »

Mbunro wrote:Thanks for the tips jeff,

and thanks jared, iv slowly been removing the dead stuff but its a very slow process as most of the dead looking stuff still have small sections of growth right out on the tips.
went pretty hard last night though and below is what can be seen of the trunk now.
Have also put a photo showing some of the fresh growth.
The Fresh growth is encouraging mate, It is those very shoots that you are trying assist by opening up the foliage a little and allowing the light in. I would be tempted over the next couple of weeks to give a light foliage feed with a weak solution of fertiliser.

This is one of my junipers that started life as garden tree. It was growing prostrate, so was collected and planted directly into a Bonsai pot and left to establish for over a year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jag001 on March 30th, 2017, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

very cool tree,
how long ago was that one collected?
Jag001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Jag001 »

That was collected probably about 2013.

I potted it up in the same pot at collection time, so the progress has been pretty slow. I also suffered a fire in 2015 where I lost my entire house, contents and many of my trees.

Not to mention it destroyed my back yard viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14193

This one fortunately survived. I have really only just been back paying it any attention since mid last year.

cheers,
Jeff
Last edited by Jag001 on March 31st, 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”