Tree wisteria

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Tree wisteria

Post by bonsaeen »

Do about 5-6 weeks ago, i put a few seeds in pots without following any germination instructions to see what happens. At till about last week i had no hope but then yesterday when i checked on them, to my surprise i had a little tree wisteria :hooray:

Now do i leave it in that small pot till spring or what? Some advise on next steps please.
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Tree wisteria

Post by Mbunro »

Cool. bolusanthus speciosus if im not mistaken.

Iv asked about these a little while ago, and no one on the forum seems to have much information specific to the species, but below is my experience so far.
i planted 14 or so of these about a month ago...
all sprouted within 4 or 5 days and of the 14, 9 have survived to this point....
i started mine in small peat pellets but when they were around the same stage as yours i transplanted 4 into a 50 50 mix of perlite and general potting mix, the other 5 into 50 50 perlite and commercial native potting mix (all 100mm hydroponic net pots)...
i havent noticed any difference between the 2 mixes yet though but still early days..
after a few days in the pots i started them on the same liquid fert regime as my natives (i alternate between charlie carp and native powerfeed every 7-10 days)
all seem to be growing strong so far.
will look at removing the tap root on a couple of them at the next repotting (im using very small pots so probably not too far away). the others i will sytematically remove the tap roots at different periods throughout the year to see what they seem to like best.

interested to see how yours go.

EDIT: and sorry to answer your question, id probably just slip pot it into something bigger,
Last edited by Mbunro on March 23rd, 2017, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by bonsaeen »

Hey thanks for the reply mburno.

I suppose i will leave this little guy in the pot for now. I had one question about the tap root. How much of it are you going to cut?
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

as much as i can i guess ha

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”