Maple seeds

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Maple seeds

Post by TimS »

I collected about 1500 Japanese maple seeds, and about half that were viable so got a couple of bags in the fridge at the moment. They'll come out of the fridge next month i suspect so i'll see how quick they are to respond
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Mmm ... been over a year. My maple seeds not popped up yet, thinking if they haven't sprung by spring, time to give up on them?
I would not hold out much hope after a whole year I have occasionally had a few seedlings sprout after a year but usually give up after the first spring. Hard to say whether yours did not grow because the seed had dried out, wasn't ready/fertile or lack of stratification.

Raging Bull - oaks do not seem to need stratification. I've been picking up acorns under the trees. many that have been a bit damp already have roots growing even though it is mid winter and quite cold down here. I've been told that acorns will not grow if the seed dries out too much so best to sow soon after collecting or store damp so they can germinate.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I've posted before about my experience, as have others. FRESH maple seed does not need stratification. When I got fresh seed I have found that stratification actually created weaker seedlings than what germinated without stratification. As has been mentioned before, dry seed, or seed from previous seasons, may need stratification, but fresh seed does not. I live in a warm temperate/sub tropical climate with only rare frosts (none of significance for over 15 years) with nights rarely below 5degC and had nearly 100% germination with fresh seed sowed about this time of year 2 years in a row. Others may have had different experiences, but for my :2c: there is no advantage to stratification with fresh seed.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks for the clarification Symon, that's exactly what we need to know.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Seeds arrived on June 15, planted a day or two later, and already some of the trident maples are shooting.

Thanks Neil!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”