Seed Identification

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
quodlibet_ens
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Seed Identification

Post by quodlibet_ens »

I received a double-up order today in the mail. Ordinarily this would be cause for celebration, however, the two separate letters I received in the mail contained an order form for the same type of seed (Eucalyptus Parvula - Small-leafed Gum), however, I there are two different types of seed with the same labelling.

I have little idea as to which one is supposed to be E. Parvula. The seeds pictured in the bottom sealed bag look very similar to River Red Gum seed. By process of elimination, I can only assume the top bag contains E. Parvula seeds.

I guess I could just plant both and see what happens...ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Seed Identification

Post by Joel »

Bottom bag appears to be a species of Eucalyptus and the top bag does not. I can't say any more without much greater magnification.

Try and germinate each. Surprises are fun.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Seed Identification

Post by shibui »

I would not be so hasty Joel. Some eucs have quite large seed, usually black like this so I think there's a good possibility that is euc seed.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with Euc parvula so not sure what it should look like.

I'd certainly be sowing both to see what comes up. Unfortunately it will be difficult to ID seedling eucs.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”