Finally found olive in Sydney suberbs

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Finally found olive in Sydney suberbs

Post by robb63 »

Hi everyone, I had almost given up hope of finding a large but not too large olive near my place
I'm in the suberbs so not exactly spoilt for choice. Anyhow a property I new about had a small avenue
of European olives around their driveway and several years ago I spotted them for future possibilities.
As time went by the suburban sprawl spread over the whole valley and up to this property. The property's new
owners the developers were not interested in letting me dig out any trees. So I waited for the demolition crew.
They also were not very open to my digging idea [something about insurance].
On my last visit just recently the demo crew had clear felled the old gardens, house and about
half the 5acre property. The barn along with the olives and other trees was next. I came back at 4pm as they were
leaving and went to work. Naturally I had all my collecting utensils in the back of the van[as usual] but added the
chainsaw, it was an olive after all. I had a bit over an hour of daylight.
The dig was clearly meant to be I tell myself. Well it turned out to be growing in nice soft sandy soil :tu: . From 20 trees I
found the smallest that looked like I may be able to get it into the car on my own, after trimming.
When finished it was just getting dark so that it was one of the easiest collecting I have done, very surprised
I now know what others mean when they say 'be patient' and keep looking, don't rush!! There are lots of places to collect
natives around my place but not too many chances for olives . Hope pics are OK.

You can see on potted pic that I already started carving work, no dremels or die grinders needed, only fine ' Stihl' work :palm:
cheers [keep on collecting]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Finally found olive in Sydney suberbs

Post by robb63 »

last pic resized
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice find and not surprising they wodu not let you on the site,
Once the fences go up, Access is no more.

One possibility is if you can arrange a swap of a case or 2 for some stumps they might dig out for you with the excavator.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robb63 »

Hi Ken, on this occasion the beer offer didn't work, I assume because the boss was on site
But I must say they did meet me part way in that they did not padlock the 2m fence but only wired it
making it easy for me.
I have found a couple of times its better not to say your saving trees for bonsai
because they can think its a chance to charge $$$ for trees there mulching. I don't mind paying but when
its all getting tipped or mulched if not collected, then 'I'm not happy'

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”