Brachychiton rupestris - Bottle Tree

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Brachychiton rupestris - Bottle Tree

Post by The Surgeon »

Hi All

Some advice please. I have the option to dig a 2m Brachychiton rupestris. I have a couple of q's:
1. When is it best to dig one of these in Melbourne?
2. Any idea on root structure? What should i expect? (yeah i know, difficult Q to answer)
3. The top is at about 2m. Can they be reduced? Will they grown benches down lower? I Assume not.

thanks
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Brachychiton rupestris - Bottle Tree

Post by shibui »

Bottle trees can be transplanted quite easily. You will find quite a few threads on Ausbonsai using the search button top right (brachychiton) that show root reduction and pruning of a range of species in the genus.
Transplantation requires minimal soil preparation. The trees, even decades old, can tolerate robust transplantation. Plants have survived a period of three months between removal and it being planted in its new location. This ability allows it great opportunity to be shipped from its Queensland home to different parts of the world.
Yours is only 2m tall so you probably won't need the same level of machinery as these 2 clips but they show how relatively little rootball is needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01p5CyESS2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMMOhwL8Ac

Other Brachychiton sp respond well to pruning. Farmers lop kurrajongs for drought fodder and they sprout back from older wood. I assume that rupestris will also bud on older wood too.
Roots tend to be thick and fleshy but can be cut and they will grow new roots from the cut ends - some of the threads on Ausbonsai show this.

I think, like other natives, the best time to transplant will be warmer weather so October through Feb.

A boab was transplanted from the Kimberley to Kings Park in Perth a few years ago. Not your Qld Bottle tree but probably quite similar in needs and structure.
http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/about-us/cons ... giant-boab
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Sergeon
I've never seen one grow a bench!! :lol: but a branch, yes
cheers and best of luck digging
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I haven't had as much experience with rupestris as the other Brachychiton's, but I would say it would react similarly. They do reliably shoot back on old wood when cut below foliage, however, the shoots are concentrated around the cut. So if you want branches down low, you will need to cut low. They also tend to grow very vertical after being cut.

Show us a picture if you can.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Post by The Surgeon »

Thanks all.

Thanks for the youtube clips Shibu. Was interesting to hear the arborist say they are like succulents - branch comes off just stick it in the ground!!

I'll try and grab a photo
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Loved watching that video from the Arboretum. One day I'll have to go down to Canberra and take a gander!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”