COLLECTING IN THE SUBERBS

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Everyone,
I thought people new to collecting might find this helpful
About a year ago I found a juniper I thought worthwhile to dig up as a future bonsai.
The suburban block was baught by developers from a man I new from childhood. This was after
his unexpected death I later found out. At first I though he moved out but when I heard he passed away
well it just became more important to save a tree from his house if possible.
When I tried finding the present owners all I got from local council and real estate people was,
"we would like to help but we can't give out that information"
Anyway it seems it's owned by a company that's a branch of another company,
that's a seedling of some corporation, bla, bla, bla. Not being very good with authority myself,
I quickly gave up on that approach.
Instead I kept driving past until I found the first neighbour at home and that's when I heard what happened to
the owner. When I told him what I wanted to do he was very helpful, especially being anti-development.
For a little while I thought he may even offer to dig it for me, well almost
quote; you want to dig that and put it in a pot, are you serious???????
yes,a bonsai pot but do you think the other neighbours will mind since I can't find the new owner?
quote; best bloody way to know is lets go ask they probably hate em more than me :lol:
So it turned out the other neighbour had actually planted the tree for the gentleman 15 or more years ago.
Both home owners thought it a bit unusual but still a good idea, they even wanted me to save more trees but
the others were huge so I settled for the juniper and maybe one more depending how fit I am next week.
So the tree was growing against a fence and bottom leant at about 45degree which is what looked good. The rest grew strait up.
Being a bit eager to get to digging and needing more equipment than I usually keep in the van I ran home. Also left the
phone so didn't get a pic of it in ground :palm: Went back next day to at least get a shot of the hole we made.
Sometimes difficult digs are good for the material. In this case a concrete drive next to fence a post in concrete at
one side kept rootball fairly small since the good soil was all on that side. Basically I thought it would
be a nightmare to get out but instead 2 of us had it in the car in one hour, that's a collecting picnic in my book.
The picture shows the hole with the post left on top, as a reminder of favour I did them.
You can see on one pic how small and clean the roots were made, nearly bonsai pot ready.
I have lost a few trees by reducing roots after the tree recovers so will not bother doing that again.
I read a good quote here from KCPOOLE. Where he points out that doing the root reduction right of on collected
or nursery plants makes more sense because you don't waiste time and energy on a tree only to loose it at first repot.
That made good sence to me and has worked well this far with my last year of collecting.
Thanks Ken :tu:
I'm confident this juniper will do well too so am starting this post :fc: to show its journey.
hope you enjoy my pics
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by robb63 on October 1st, 2017, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robb63 »

more juniper pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: COLLECTING IN THE SUBERBS

Post by robb63 »

2 more after technical mishap
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robb63 »

few more resized pics :palm:
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robb63 »

I think its chinensis but can anyone ID the leaf ?
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robb63 »

sorry folks these should be in sequence but after a few coldies my computer starts playing up
cheers
Last edited by robb63 on September 30th, 2017, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

good score----also If the redevelopment includes new fences, those palings(if they are a hardwood) are nicely weathered and could be used in characterful woodwork projects
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice dig :-) :yes:
Lots of roots, good time of the year, hopefully it will recover nicely and give a great tree out of it as the ones with meaning are much better.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”