Pine seedlings

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.

Pine seedlings

Postby shibui » October 16th, 2017, 6:27 pm

I have a few new JBP seedlings germinating this year. There are many ways you can grow these but some of you may be interested to see some of the things I do with them.
JBP seedlings 2017 10 1.JPG

You can leave them to get a bit bigger but I often prick some out quite early and cut the root to get better lateral roots started early.
Lift the seedlings out gently
JBP seedlings 2017 10 2.JPG

Then nip the white part of the root with scissors or fingernails.

JBP seedlings 2017 10 3.JPG

You should all know by now that roots respond very much like the top of a plant. When you prune you get more shoots (roots) growing. That's what will happen here but the new roots will be laterals rather than a single vertical down root.

I've pricked out 8 so far the others can grow in the seed tray for a bit longer before I pot them up.

JBP seedlings 2017 10 4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Pine seedlings

Postby melbrackstone » October 16th, 2017, 6:57 pm

I did that with all the seedlings I got from the seeds you sent me in June. I didn't lose any of them, and they powered away again!

You've given me a lot of confidence from your regular posts, thank you!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Willow leaf fig
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Qld

Return to Propagation, Collecting and Importing