Pine seedlings

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Pine seedlings

Post by shibui »

I have not heard of Pinus picea. Maybe you mean P. pinea which is the Italian stone pine and is reasonably common so likely to be acquired from a plant swap.

P.pinea responds a little like P. radiate. It can shoot from bare wood reasonably reliable, at least while young. It also reverts to juvenile growth quite easily which can be preferable to the long, coarse needles of mature foliage. I have some in a grow bed. I've been trying to get rid of them but when I prune low they just keep producing new buds from the bare trunk :palm: May need to resort to glyphosate :twisted:

That means you probably don't need to worry quite so much about how old or bare they get before you prune but I would still recommend regular pruning to maintain shoots and/or needles in places you may later want growth - and don't let it get too thick, like mine :whistle: if you want to bonsai. We really need some semblance of taper and attractive lines in the trunk if it is to be admired.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Re: Pine seedlings

Post by SueBee »

:oops: yep Pinea it is...just call me fumble fingers. Yes I want nice taper and some movement if possible.Have wired one with a bit of a twist and after cutting it shot well down low...the one in the ground is quite leggy and ordinary so I will chop it off at 1/3rd and see what happens- yes they were a food forest swap but really only room for one here- if that- at full size.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”