Air layer healded over

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Hailun
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nepean, Illawarra

Air layer healded over

Post by Hailun »

I did an air layer on a bougainvillea over a year ago, it has breached the layer. Wondering if I can do it again in the same place, any tips please
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Air layer healded over

Post by Ryceman3 »

Yep, you can do it again in the same place.
I don't have specific layering experience with Bougies, but in generic terms make sure the area you cut away is wide enough to avoid any bridging (1 - 1.5 times the diameter of the trunk/branch you are layering) and it is really important to completely scrape away the cambium (the layer directly under the outer bark), again to avoid bridging. You can also do things like apply a wire tightly just under the top edge of the layering cut-out which seems to help with succesful layering, particularly if the species being done is prone to callousing which can impede root growth while the layer is developing. Not sure if this applies with Bougies.
If you're lucky RayM (or some other more experienced person) may chime in with some extra bits of info!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on October 23rd, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hailun wrote:I did an air layer on a bougainvillea over a year ago, it has breached the layer. Wondering if I can do it again in the same place, any tips please
Hi Hailun,
Yes, you would be able to do the layer again. You will need to make a new cut around the top cut, maybe 2-3mm higher, to make sure there is new tissue showing. The bottom cut needs to be about 1.5 times the diameter of the trunk. It is most critical to make sure that you scrap off all the Cambium. Scrap down to the hard wood, you won't hurt the the hard wood. Bind a wire around the hard wood and push this hard up against the top cut. Paint the top cut with hormone. Use a 50/50 mix of Clonex Purple and Yates Cutting Powder. You need to soak the Sphagnum Moss in Seasol for at least a half hour before use. When adding the Sphagnum Moss make sure the water is squeezed out very well. Be very generous with the amount of Moss surrounding the layer.

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on October 23rd, 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hailun
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nepean, Illawarra

Post by Hailun »

Thank you so much will have another go at it

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”