NOT a Chamelaucium uncinatum

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

NOT a Chamelaucium uncinatum

Post by Ray M »

Hi Folks,
Sorry I wasn't able to post this under Australian Natives, there is no heading for this particular species. They come under the Myrtle family. I have had this tree for some time now and this is the first time I've seen so many flowers. There is a mate planted beside it as well. That one is a Melaleuca. Both trees are in colanders planted in the ground. They both have substantial bases to their trunks, they would both be in excess of 150mm. After flowering I intend pulling them out of the ground and looking at where to go with them.
_MG_5110 -1.jpg
_MG_5106 -1.jpg
_MG_5109 -1.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on October 27th, 2017, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New ID
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Chamelaucium uncinatum

Post by shibui »

Hi Ray. Those are really great flowers but they look far more like Leptospermum than Chamelaucium to me. There has been a range of these pink and reddish flowered varieties released in the last 10 or so years. Flowers are similar in general shape but you should find differences when you compare. Leaves are also different.
The good news is that Leptospermum are much more hardy here on the East coast. Chamelaucium tend to just drop dead in humid summers over this side.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

shibui wrote:Hi Ray. Those are really great flowers but they look far more like Leptospermum than Chamelaucium to me. There has been a range of these pink and reddish flowered varieties released in the last 10 or so years. Flowers are similar in general shape but you should find differences when you compare. Leaves are also different.
The good news is that Leptospermum are much more hardy here on the East coast. Chamelaucium tend to just drop dead in humid summers over this side.
Hi shibui,
Thanks for the heads up mate. I suspect you are correct. I'll do some comparisons, but I suspect your right.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards Ray
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Folks,
After shibui's post I have done some research. The tree IS NOT a Chamelaucium uncinatum, it is a Leptospermum. Thanks again mate for pointing this out.

The following photos should help to show the differences between the two. The flowers look very similar, but the leaves tell the story.

Chamelaucium uncinatum
Geralton Wax flower.jpg
Geralton Wax.jpg
Leptospermum
Leptospermum flower.jpg
Leptospermum.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Well done Ray/Shibui.

Looking forward to seeing your work with these Ray.
Love the flowers!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”