Yamadori Cherry Plum

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Yamadori Cherry Plum

Post by SueBee »

Not exciting tree I know but I had to move it from between sheds so I can put in a shadehouse in the gap between the sheds. Here it is out of the ground.The pot beside is a six inch for Size approximation.I soaked it in a Seasol bath and planted it in a root pruning pot for now.
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Yamadori Cherry Plum

Post by SueBee »

Arrgh sorry they are sideways- took them with ipad and obviously wrong way round.Duh me.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Not very many roots Sue, so I wish you luck.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

There is a few fine roots below so I will chance it....the big roots had tog o to get ot out...will keep the forum posted on success ...or not! :palm:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I don't think you need to worry about the roots. I have found that I can cut the roots of many species like this and they grow just fine. I believe that cutting the roots short at collection is the best with trees that can sprout new roots easily. We need root ramification close to the trunk to develop good nebari and cutting the roots is the best way to get that to happen. In fact, I would probably have cut those medium roots back almost as short as the thicker ones.
I have noted that roots that are cut, sprout new roots quite easily - far easier than we give credit for. Many of the trees I have collected or transplanted have had no fine feeder roots at all but after the first spring the pots are full of new roots.

Species that I have found grow new roots readily:
Trident maple, Japanese maple and probably most other maples?
Most prunus sp, including plum
Melaleuca (some species?), Callistemon, Banksia
Olive, Privet
I currently have some hawthorns that have had really severe root reduction so will see how they respond.

I have not yet tried root pruning pines and junipers quite so hard. I generally try to leave a few fine roots like Sues picture above.
I'm told that oaks don't like severe root pruning?

Others may have further experiences to add.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Thanks Shibui,I always enjoy your comments and help. I did cut those secondary roots back as it would not fit into the pot with them. Time wiill tell how it goes but I think there is enough for a good chance at success.I also planted root that appeared to me to have a chance at being a good Bonsai in future.
Off topic query: How much root ball should I leave on an EE of similar size? Same or less?
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Some of the English Elms I've dug have survived with less roots than the plum you showed. Some have been little more than huge cuttings. I should have included it with the 'easy' list above. :palm:

Your plum root cutting should grow as long as you have it the right way up (and may even grow if it is wrong way up) Roots often have far more interesting bends and twists than above ground parts and I think there is huge potential in trees grown from root cuttings. :tu:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”