Possible specimen on nature strip

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
philgobbe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Possible specimen on nature strip

Post by philgobbe »

Hi All

I drive past a possible specimen everyday to work.
I am now at the point where I would love to grab this if possible as it extremely close to a finished product.

It is a shoot from the bottom of a tree, so some digging would be needed and including roots (from what I can tell it would be possible and worth the try) + planting into a large pot/ground will be needed.

Has anyone done this? Have you contacted the council, or house occupier?

I would rather not just turn up and start digging...

Thanks
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Possible specimen on nature strip

Post by shibui »

There are lots of threads on Ausbonsai dealing with collecting trees from all sorts of places. It would be worth trying to identify the plant before attempting collection. Some species respond better at certain times of year. Some plants produce suckers from the roots or base of the tree. Some suckers may have roots of their own, others will have none.

Assuming you intend to leave the main tree and not damage it I would not bother with the council though, technically it is their land and tree if it on the roadside.
I think it would be worth approaching the occupier though because they are likely to want to know who is digging and why. One of our local club members does this regularly. She just knocks on the door, introduces herself and explains what she wants. More than 90% success rate too.
Make sure you stress that the larger tree will not be harmed and don't leave a mess that will give us a bad name.

Good luck :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

FYI, before digging some radiata seedlings, I checked with the local council and they told me I need to check with road authority (e.g. VicRoads) because they were less than 5 meters from the roadside.
I checked with the road authority and they told me it was ok provided I ensure it is safe to do so. Obviously, it would be different if it was on someone's private property.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
philgobbe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by philgobbe »

shibui wrote:There are lots of threads on Ausbonsai dealing with collecting trees from all sorts of places. It would be worth trying to identify the plant before attempting collection. Some species respond better at certain times of year. Some plants produce suckers from the roots or base of the tree. Some suckers may have roots of their own, others will have none.
Yes, this is the next step. Just wanted to know if I should even bother and pursue with what I was thinking (knocking on the door).
shibui wrote: Assuming you intend to leave the main tree and not damage it I would not bother with the council though, technically it is their land and tree if it on the roadside.
I think it would be worth approaching the occupier though because they are likely to want to know who is digging and why. One of our local club members does this regularly. She just knocks on the door, introduces herself and explains what she wants. More than 90% success rate too.
Make sure you stress that the larger tree will not be harmed and don't leave a mess that will give us a bad name.

Good luck :fc:
Thanks again for the Advice...

And thanks to Dennis for the advise as well!

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”