Yamadori Syzygium

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Yamadori Syzygium

Post by demps »

Hey guys Ive just dug up my first yamadori specimen (possibly an australe, not sure in id if anybody else knows?) that has been laying down on the forest floor for all sorts of critters to nibble at. I chopped the top half off to make it easier to manage and I did break off the tip of the tap root :palm: but managed to save a bunch of finer roots. How do Syzygium handle in this circumstance? and is there anything I can do apart from pray to help it survive?
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
Cheers
Demps :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Yamadori Syzygium

Post by terryb »

Hi Demps,

No idea of how many roots are left but since there are not too many leaves to support, hopefully all will be good. Here is a thread that discusses root reduction in Syzygium viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25623&p=255663#p255663
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by demps »

Thanks for the thread Terry, good info! yep forgot to get photos before and after but was in to much of a hurry to get it in some soil :fc:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

demps wrote:... I did break off the tip of the tap root :palm: but managed to save a bunch of finer roots.
In collecting yamadori severing the tap root is pretty much a given. Your tree doesn't need it anymore - it's not in the ground! but, it does need the finer roots - which you said you "saved a bunch" so :cool:
Keep the water up to it - moist but not waterlogged and give it some time to recover and begin shooting again, I'd feel pretty confident if I were you.
:beer:

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”