Stratification query

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
1e4
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Stratification query

Post by 1e4 »

Hi all,

I was given some wild cherry and maple seeds that I need to stratify to help germinate. I'm based on the Sunshine Coast.

The instructions tell me to:
  • Store the seeds in the refrigerator to subject them to a simulated winter
  • Calculate the time of sowing so that they will not germinate mid-winter or mid-spring. If the seeds are sown in autumn they may germinate during a warmer period the following year.
  • Remove the seeds from the refrigerator at the best time for sowing.
  • For the cherry, immerse the seeds in 40 degree Celsius water for 1 or 2 nights
  • For the maple, sow the seeds without immersing in water after they are removed from the fridge.
My assumption is that immersing the seeds in 40 degree water for 1 or 2 nights means heat the water to 40 degrees, drop the seeds in and let the water cool. Possibly repeat this process. (As opposed to trying to maintain the water at 40 degrees Celsius).

The instructions for the maple are different to what I have read before, which talked of storing the seeds in a damp mix of propagation sand / moss in the fridge or in damp tissue paper.

If anyone has any advice, I am all ears!!

My current thinking is that I should start the stratification process between now and the end of Autumn, then pop them into some soil coming into spring. But, I'm lacking confidence based on the instructions in the pack.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Stratification query

Post by melbrackstone »

I've bought fresh Maple seed from shibui in June for the last two years and they were planted when they arrived, and germinated before the end of June. I'm in Brisbane. I haven't had any luck with seed from the various other seed sites I've bought from, even following their directions. It could be me, but I'm much happier with fresh seed from shibui.

Good luck
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

These types of seed need moist stratification for about 4 months at 4C. In other words in the fridge vegie crisper or in the door - not the freezer.
It's good to soak the seeds in warm water overnight if they are not fresh. I use vermiculite for stratifying as it's sterile. Dusting the seeds with a fungicide is also helpful. Half fill a small clean pot with vermiculite, place the seeds over it and then top up the pot. Use dry vermiculite for the this. When you have finished packing the seeds, dribble some water into the pot but stop well before it begins to drain - you want it barely moist not wet. This is very important. Place the whole pot into a plastic bag and punch a few holes into it. The seeds need oxygen.
After about 3 or 4 months tip out the contents and plant into a good p/mix. Time it so you plant by early spring. Some of the seeds may have the root radical already showing so be careful not to damage it. Water the seeds in once and then let the mix dry out a bit before you give more water. When the seedlings have their first good pair of leaves put in some osmocote and place them in full sun. Leave for the whole season and pot up separately the following spring.
Definitely DO NOT soak the seeds after they come out of the fridge!!
Last edited by treeman on April 15th, 2019, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
1e4
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by 1e4 »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the detail and the fast response! Sounds like I am stopping for some vermiculite on the way home! :) (I'll also check out Shibui - thank you!)

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”