Ash Dig

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Ash Dig

Post by Watto »

There are a number of Claret Ash (Fraxinus oxycarpa Raywoodii) planted by the local council in my street and occasionally when they drop seed you get the Desert Ash as the prodigy. There was one growing in the garden of my neighbor and as a good citizen I told him that it would grow too big for his garden. While I was there I gave it a good trim (to keep it in check you understand) and I might have given it a couple more trims over the last couple of years (as good neighbors do). As luck would have it he is about to "re-do" his front garden and the ash had to go. Again, like a good neighbor I dug it out for him. I try to help out where I can!
The ground is very dry here but I am confident that it will survive. In the coming years a few more trims and a bit of a carve and all will be good. I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Ash Dig

Post by Watto »

A close up of the tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

And now all potted up. I used my usual theory of getting it into the smallest practical pot.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Those pesky seedlings. :)

Well done @Watto!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

occasionally when they drop seed you get the Desert Ash as the prodigy.
You must think this particular one is really good -
Prodigy: a young person with exceptional qualities or abilities; an outstanding example of a particular quality; an amazing or unusual thing, especially one out of the ordinary course of nature.

Not sure it is that exceptional myself but maybe I'm not seeing it properly?
Ash are really tough trees. I think you could probably dig them any time of year and expect survival. This one should do just fine, even if the ground is a bit dry.
They seem to pop up wherever there's a larger tree to drop seeds. Does that make them prodigious, fecund or prolific?
Most seedlings are pretty straight and boring so your foresight in pruning occasionally has paid off here.
Ash are definitely worth considering , especially as collected seedlings - rid our environment of a few more weeds.

I note the 'product placement' in the first picture. Hope the suppliers of the root slayer are giving some sort of kickback for your advertising. I hear these shovels are really great for bonsai collectors. Where did you get yours?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Watto
Hope your neighbour appreciates the lengths you have gone through to help them.!
I'm working on a few of my own neighbours with a similar approach.
It's interesting just how bonsai can bring neighbours closer together.
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Gotta love a free tree Watto! I am going to remove some weeds tomorrow and dig some olives :yes:
Jake
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Shibui, the only money that has changed hands is from my pocket to theirs in relation to the root slayer. I am of course holding out hope. PS - I bought it on line, a Christmas present from me to me.
I was hoping for a few more years of ground growing but there is a little bit if "trunk crackling" so that should continue.
Good luck with your dig Jake. We expect photos of your dig Robb.
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Thanks mate trying a new spot so fingers crossed I find some good stuff
Jake
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Watto wrote:There are a number of Claret Ash (Fraxinus oxycarpa Raywoodii) planted by the local council in my street and occasionally when they drop seed you get the Desert Ash as the prodigy.
It seems that the species "oxycarpa" has been relegated to a form of "angustifolia" (i.e the current name is Fraxinus angustifolia f. oxycarpa) http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSea ... d=609134-1 so I guess it is no surprise that the progeny (I think this is what you meant- right Watto?) looks like desert ash (Fraxinus angustifolia).

The cultivar 'Raywood' is sterile and certainly the trees in my area have no viable seed. I guess nature always finds a way!
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

One year on and this tree was doing fine. The decision was made to "re-do" the branching (so I had more control) so I cut off almost all the existing branches and did a little carving near the top to improve taper.
Hopefully I will get a few buds to burst in good spots along the trunk. Fingers crossed.
FreddieV
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Satsuki
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by FreddieV »

Good start. Love the taper. What style you have in mind for it?
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

Ash are very very hardy as shibui has mentioned.
I have one and made huge direction change 15 yrs later and it was able to regrow and heal very quickly.

I am still struggling wit how much sun they need. I left mine in full sun and it struggled even though I never let it dry out.
I went on holiday and moved it into partial shade and I came back to see a lush green ball of new branches.

A good lesson for me with the accidental experiment. I found the new buds can't handle our hot sun very well and it holds the plant back.

Does anyone else have similar experience?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

The style will depend on the amount and location of buds this coming season, so I will post an update or two over the coming years.
This tree grows in partial shade during the summer but in full sun (if there is such a thing) in winter.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”