Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Post your latest purchase or impulse buy

Post by gnichols »

A few moreImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by gnichols »

Only letting me attach one photo per postImage

gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by gnichols »

Last one

gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by gnichols »

gnichols wrote:Last one

Not working, sorry. He goes by ... Ceramic of art ... on Facebook if anyone wants to look him up.

TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Some kind of switch has flipped in my head in the last 6 months or so and i've been really rather appreciating pines, even being desirous to grow them as specimen trees. Wild for me who had given them a wide berth for more than half a decade after giving them up early on in my bonsai journey.

Perhaps it's as simple as my bonsai benches look very sparse in winter when all the deciduous are naked and it has been nice to see some greenery among all the twiggy branches with the JBP i picked up at the waverly show this year, or a maturation of my own appreciation of bonsai (going to rule this out as i still hate all Junipers :lol: ) but i'm keen to get back to pines.

My heart holds a very special spot for Japanese Red Pine, and yet it seems borderline unavailable in anything larger than pencil thick at my local nurseries. So when i walked through one of the garden centres today and saw this dwarf form for only about twice the price the local bonsai nursery was asking for a maybe 5 year old max one with a few bends in it. Couldn't really work out why it was so inexpensive :lost: so i took the punt on it. There were some Yatsubusa black that looked seed grown not grafted, so i may end up going back for one of them too but the relative lack of red pine drew me to this more.

Side note if anyone, Shibui most likely, has JRP with a decent about of age on it say 10+ years and a decent start for bonsai give me a shout I'm dead keen to get my hands on some good red pine material.

My initial idea is actually just to attempt cuttings from it following the guidelines here as it has a very short needle so it would be good for minis and shohin, but potentially a clump style thing could be made from the twin trunks? Dunno, pine design not my forte and it was the only red pine of the batch of half a dozen pines so i didn't have a lot of choice. It may eventually end up at a workshop.
JRPDa.jpg
JRPDb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Maybe consider Juniper communis or rigida (I never know which it's supposed to be) - they grow hugely well in the ground, cut back well, jin splendidly - and they have a nasty prickly temperament, which is a definite recommendation for me... Pines have rules, J. rigida will do whatever you want - and will often come up with something better than you could ever imagine!

Tough, nasty, and take all kind of abuse - what more could you want?

(Take your time getting Serious Trunk Girth in the ground - I didn't, and regret it.)

Gavin
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Not the best photo, and not a bonsai yet. I grew up with a Feijoa plant in our yard and loved the fruit. Never seen one as a bonsai so I'm keen to see if I can do something with it. If I decide this tree is not good stock for a bonsai maybe I'll get some fruit off it and I can propagate some from seed and I can work the roots from the beginning.
IMG_2585.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

Post by Joshua »

Hi all. Been a while since I posted. The motivation comes and goes.

I joined the local bonsai club again just in time to participate in a group order. Went to pick up the substrate from the club presidents house and turns out he was selling a chunk of his collection.

Thinking a lot about how I need to reduce the collection because already limited on space and most of what I have needs potting up. Also need to reduce the daily work of watering due to other constraints, and that on top of pretty regular water restrictions here in the summer...

Well I bought three trees plus two small ones he threw in for free :shock: :shake:

Prunus Mahaleb (St. Lucie Cherry). These grow in the wild all around this region. Apparently very easy to care for. Trunk base is about 8cm and totals about 28cm high.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 8.23.46 AM (4).jpeg

Another P. Mahaleb. Not sure I like the spiral / S shape trunk, and there are some wire scars on some of the branches. Trunk base is about 2-3 cm. Both of these cherries now appear to be covered in aphids. I've been spraying/picking them off as I see them. 'Tis the season I guess.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 8.23.45 AM (2).jpeg

A wild olive.
Actually I was never that keen on olives in general but somehow decided it could be interesting. Also swayed by the fact that these also are native to the region here, dont require a ton of water, easy to look after, and so on. Now that I look at the photos I'm less inspired by it, but I think it needs to grow out a bit.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 8.23.46 AM (1).jpeg
The two freebies are an apricot and a crab apple. One with some dead wood to cut off, and the other with severe wire scars which i'll probably chop of, just above that second branch. I can't remember which one's which.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 8.23.44 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 8.23.43 AM.jpeg
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I bought this 50cm Shuho... it's probably way too big for what I wanted...lol.
Shuho.jpg
Shuho1.jpg
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

melbrackstone wrote: March 21st, 2024, 6:56 pm I bought this 50cm Shuho... it's probably way too big for what I wanted...lol.

Shuho.jpgShuho1.jpg
Stunning pot and even if too big, trees grow bigger over time :tu:
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I'm with Tim.
Love the colour/texture/pattern/shape of this pot.
I agree, a bit too big for me to comfortably lift if filled with soil/tree/rocks but don't know it I could have resisted the temptation, either :D .
Now, what are you going to put into it? (would really look good with something with strong autumn colour in it..Ginko?)
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Jan
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Jan wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:42 am I'm with Tim.
Love the colour/texture/pattern/shape of this pot.
I agree, a bit too big for me to comfortably lift if filled with soil/tree/rocks but don't know it I could have resisted the temptation, either :D .
Now, what are you going to put into it? (would really look good with something with strong autumn colour in it..Ginko?)
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Jan
If only we had strong autumn colours here in SEQ! The only trees I have that colour well are Crepe Myrtles, and sadly I don't have one that'll do justice to this size. Maybe in 10 years, but then I won't be able to lift it....lol.

Oh well, I'll just keep it to drool over.

Thanks Jan and Tim.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

For $3 I couldn't just leave these behind to die at Bunnings. Now they can die at my place with some privacy. :P
20240318_110612.jpg
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

[quote

If only we had strong autumn colours here in SEQ! The only trees I have that colour well are Crepe Myrtles, and sadly I don't have one that'll do justice to this size. Maybe in 10 years, but then I won't be able to lift it....lol.

Oh well, I'll just keep it to drool over.

Thanks Jan and Tim.
[/quote]

Great pot for a small forest. I'm not familiar with trees that do well in SEQ but you must have some trees that have lime or golden leaves - great excuse to do the nursery rounds ;)
Have fun, and I look forward to seeing something in this beauty on AusBonsai.

Jan.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Great pot for a small forest. I'm not familiar with trees that do well in SEQ but you must have some trees that have lime or golden leaves - great excuse to do the nursery rounds ;)
Have fun, and I look forward to seeing something in this beauty on AusBonsai.
I'll be honest, I already have far too many trees, and the thought of a forest just leaves me cold, lol.

I'm sure I'll find a use for it one day though. :)

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”