JBP cuttings

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

JBP cuttings

Post by shibui »

Just a few photos of some successful pine cuttings for your information.
These are cuttings of JUVENILE growth taken from seedlings. Please note than juvenile growth roots far easier than shoots with mature needle pairs.
I did not record what time of year these were taken. I do remember it was not spring which is my preferred time. Probably autumn? Someone (I can't recall who?) contacted me to ask for more details of propagating pines from cuttings so I did a batch to take photos. If you were the one please let us know what time of year.
IMG_1340c.jpg
IMG_1341c.jpg
IMG_1342c.jpg
IMG_1343cc.jpg
Note that all the rooted cuttings have terminal tips. None of the cuttings without buds have rooted so far. I think there may be a message for us there.
A couple have a few roots but more have just a single root. I'm putting that down to time of year and having to root over winter as I usually get much better sets of roots on juvenile cuttings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: JBP cuttings

Post by Albo »

Wow, that’s interesting.
Good job.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

So these were from last year some time?
Given it’s juvenile growth from seedlings I’m guessing like November maybe?? Mostly growth has matured by autumn in my experience and needles are emerging… no juvenile growth at any rate.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

November would be my usual time to take JBP cuttings from seedlings when they are still fully juvenile. The seedlings these cuttings came from were some that had not been pricked out of the seed tray so were a little slower than individually potted trees. At the time they had a mix of juvenile foliage and paired adult needles.
You may be able to pick out some of the long, paired needles in the first pic. That's why I'm guessing it was late Summer or Autumn
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Great results. Have you tried mature jbp cuttings? I have been experimenting with taking mature candle cuttings when decandling in summer for the last couple of years. I get a roughly 50% success rate so far which I have found to be promising for this species. (Radiata pine cuttings I have almost 100% success rate).

It's not something that at this stage I think is worth doing over seed growing or seedling cuttings, especially when you want large quantities. But for some one just wanting to slowly build up my jbp stock, struggling to get my hands on any seed, it's become a valuable practice.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Great news that you have some success with mature candles. So far I have not managed to strike a single candle so would be interested in seeing your methods, as, I am sure, would others here.
I have had low success with year old shoots taken late winter from mature trees but only about 5-10% strike rates on JBP, JRP< Mugho and JWP.

I've been working with pine cuttings as seed is almost impossible to get in Aus now due to increased quarantine restrictions on all Pinus material so even low strike rates were attractive.
I now have a couple of trees planted in the paddock that are producing cones so can go back to seed now.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

I just made a new thread for my methods and findings. Been wanting to share for a while just haven't got round to it.

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”