Air layering a black pine

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Air layering a black pine

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Greth,

Thank you for the suggestion, I believe this is the stuff you referred to http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/rooter-pot/.

I think they are great for smaller stems.

Hi RedDragon,

Please try and give us your results. The waiting and anticipation are fun also :cool:

Cheers.
bwaynef
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Air layering a black pine

Post by bwaynef »

daiviet_nguyen wrote: When I mentioned that I was going to layer this pine, the dealer advised me to do it toward the end of October. He has
previously succeeded with his first two attempts on two black pines. He did cautioned me that his experiences with
air layering black pine are limitted: just two.

Acting on his advice, I carried it out on 20/October/2007. The first time I ever saw roots was on 04/April/2008.
(The roots had actually developed during Victorian autumn. I find that a bit hard to explain.)
If I'm understanding correctly, this is late spring? The average temps in Melbourne in October are 19°/9°C (or 67°/48°F). I'd imagine buds would be elongating to candles, but candles wouldn't be breaking into needles quite yet. Does that sound about right?
I started to prepare cutting it down on the 07/September/2008; I cut away about 2/6 of bark. A week later, I cut away
another 2/6. On 21/September/2008, I cut it off.

I do not have any logical explanation for doing what I did. But I feel that, chip away the barks like that would likely
to trigger the layered part of the tree to adjust with loss of supply -- and possibly its own young roots will work a bit
harder? Therefore it would have a better chance of surviving once separated from the parent?
Could you explain this a little more?

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”