Air layering a black pine

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Air layering a black pine

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

I am attempting to describe my first ever air layering of a 10 years old black pine. This is the black pine in question:

The above two pictures were taken on 05/April/2008.

I bought this black pine sometimes in June, 2006. It was a field grown tree, for general landscaping, not bonsai. I was
told it was about 10 years old at the time. It had just been dugged up and potted into a plastic bag in 2005.

I paid $125.00 for this pine. I think it was a real bargain. Although I must say I bought a few of these from the dealer.

It was generally in good health. But I was not satisfield with its vigour, so in August 2006, I potted it into this big
wooden box to regain its vitality. During the growing season of 2006-2007 I did trim bit and pieces off.

The measurements:
  • Tree height: 122 cm.

Trunk diameter: 10 cm. Measured right above the first root.

Diameter at the layering point: 4.5 cm.

Box length: 72 cm.

Pot width: 49 cm.

Pot height: 18 cm.
(I built this box myself with recycle timber.)

I have always used the ring-bark method. Over the years, I have done about 20 air layerings, mostly on the various
species of Japanese maples. My success rate with the Japanese maples have been around 80% or thereabout.

Before this pine, I had never done any conifers. So this pine has been a very beneficial learning process for me. I
have always obeyed the following rules of the ring-bark method:
  • The layering point is always below a node (where above it is a branch or branches.)

The length of the ring is the length perimeter of the trunk/branch being layered.

The thickness of ball is approximately the diameter of the trunk/branch being layered.

The cover used is clear plastic.
I am using sphagnum moss, bought from Bunnings, as layering medium. The rooting steroid I always use is Richgro
Striking Hormone -- a Western Australian product. For this pine, I used a hard wood one.

At the time when I prepared this pine, I did not have a camera, so I could not document it at the ring-bark stage. I will
use pictures from another tree to illustrate this process. Please do not be confused. I am still writing about the pine:

The picture below illustrates a trunk being air layered, just after the ring-bark was completed:

And this is how I put on the plastic cover:

And just after filled in the layering medium:

(For this tree, I mixed sphagnum moss with Nu-Earth, a general purpose potting mix.)

Timing -- with Japanese maples, I am very liberal with the time-span: from the beginning of August to middle of October.

When I mentioned that I was going to layer this pine, the dealer advised me to do it toward the end of October. He has
previously succeeded with his first two attempts on two black pines. He did cautioned me that his experiences with
air layering black pine are limitted: just two.

Acting on his advice, I carried it out on 20/October/2007. The first time I ever saw roots was on 04/April/2008. The following
two pictures were taken on 05/April/2008. The circles mark where the roots can be seen:

The following three pictures were taken on 13/July/2008. More roots have developed, and some others have matured:

(The roots had actually developed during Victorian autumn. I find that a bit hard to explain.)

Back in June, 2008, I have started to feed the root ball with diluted SUPERthrive --
this is an American product.

With Japanese maples, I usually cut them down in a one go. But I took a different approach with this pine.

I started to prepare cutting it down on the 07/September/2008; I cut away about 2/6 of bark. A week later, I cut away
another 2/6. On 21/September/2008, I cut it off.

I do not have any logical explanation for doing what I did. But I feel that, chip away the barks like that would likely
to trigger the layered part of the tree to adjust with loss of supply -- and possibly its own young roots will work a bit
harder? Therefore it would have a better chance of surviving once separated from the parent?

The "soil" mix I use to plant the layered tree has high drainage. At the bottom, I has a single layer of scoria -- around
8 to 10 mm in size. The next layer consists of 50% scoria, 50% pine bark, both types are of around 3 mm. The last
layer of soil consists of around 45% scoria, 45% pine, also of around 3 mm; and 10% Nu-Earth general potting mix,
I also mixed seasol (Australian product) directly into this mix.

After cutting it down, take off the wires at the two ends, carefully remove the plastic cover to not damage any roots.

The entire sphagnum ball must be covered in soil. When filling the pot, slowly pour the soil in, the hard particles
in the soil can potentially damage the roots if they are comming in with high velocity.

The tree must be secured in the pot. The pot must also be secured where it stands. Shelter the pot in the shade,
and also from constant wind, but there must be enough natural light.

From thence on, I feed it diluted SUPERthrive every Sunday, for five weeks in a
row.

On the sixth week, I gave it a light feed of dynamic lifter. And also another light feeds on the seventh and eighth
weeks -- and nothing else since then.

The two trees seven weeks after cutting, these pictures were taken on 21/November/2008.

The parent tree:

Looking from above:

The two big scars:

The layered tree:

The measurements:
  • Pot diameter: 32 cm. This is the top part.

Pot height: 28 cm.

Trunk diameter: 4.5 cm.

Tree height: 66 cm.
This layered tree has been in the full sun for the first half of December, 2008; and some of its previous buds have
developed into candles; some small new buds are also visible.

(If later on, I found any mis-spellings or grammar errors I would edit this post directly. I will not change the content.)
Last edited by daiviet_nguyen on December 16th, 2008, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Re: Air layering a black pine

Post by Jarrod »

A pair of great trees.

Nice work and interesting about the ayer growing roots in autumn? go figure
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Congratulations daiviet_nguyen - two for the price of one.
May I add a three observations:-
A second layer of black or light proof plastic round the clear layer would exclude light. Roots tend to turn away from light, the dark plastic can be removed to inspect for roots without disturbing them and may be replaced for as long as necessary.
Superthrive is a tonic based on vitamin 'B'. It is not a fertilizer but could well have been a positive factor in the formation of the roots.
Keeping the medium moist inside the layer is sometimes difficult. I use either a hypodermic syringe or one of those gadgets for replacing ink into printer cartridges for this purpose.
Good luck with the 'twins', the parent plant will be quite powerful in a short time.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Thank you Jarrod :)

Hi Don,

Thank you for giving me the info Don. I appreciate that.

I did not mention that, I do not usually tight the top end of the plastic bag very tight, and try to fan it out into a funnel
shape, and then I water slowly and directly into the funnel. The water will get down eventually. I just stood there and
waited for a few minutes before water it again :)

I have a clean start with the parent tree. I will try my best to make something worthwhile of it.

Yours are truely inspirational.

Best regards,

Viet.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Jezz wrote:A pair of great trees.

Nice work and interesting about the ayer growing roots in autumn? go figure
From my understanding the time to airlayer isn't set by season exactly, rather by health of the tree.

Stymie, from reading many debates on superthrive, there are both users and non users. Most believe its too expensive and to get the auxins it contains in other products not so expensive. Seasol was a good sub. I believe.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Asus101,

I do not think this process is an exact science. I am guessing that we just have to experiment it ourselves, and use
what we found most reliable and effective.

Among the bonsai people, I doubt if there are many formally trained as botanists -- the procedure that we adopt is
more or less by faith rather than by any formal knowledge that we can actually articulate and prove. As such, it would
be very hard to find a unified consensus among the bonsai enthusiasts.

Regards,

Viet.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Its not no.
I was reading on it in some early Bonsaitoday magazines. One guy had done many experiments and had done many layers and found that it was the health of the tree that dictated the success rate.
Your pines look healthy, and thats the main reason for success I belive.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hi Daiviet.
Very good article. I have read many on the subject, this the first pictorial( albeit ) using a maple to explain the first move.
It does give the ones that are into JBP's another reason to go on about them, only Kidding.
I also believe that to work on a very healthy tree in any endeavour is vital.
Be it defoliation Trunk chopping re potting, Most of all air layering. I would hazard a guess as to why they grew in Autumn was it was not cold enough.
As a northern hemisphere tree they do not go fully dormant as in shut down like they do in the colder climes. Just a guess though.
As has been pointed out the use of Auxin's is one of those hot potatoes. I have always used them in collecting re potting and reviving sick plants.
Thank you again for this pictorial.
Last edited by Pup on December 16th, 2008, 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Although I use the plastic sheath method of air-layering, the majority of my long term layers are done using the split plant pot wired on to the member. This is left with an open top which gets watered normally with everything else. The medium used varies, but is more like a cuttings compost as opposed to Sphagnum moss. Lime hating varieties can even be rooted in Kanuma. 8-)
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

well done viet any method is a good method when it works. two great trees there, the parent has a tough stance. this definately cant be done if the tree is not vigorous enough. autumn here in melb the jbp tends to charge. this is when the dominent areas of the black pine really take off and extend. not hard to put a foot or more of growth on a strong candle during this time. and therefor this is why you would probably see more activity at this time. makes sense. in fact i have more luck with cuttings in autumn than i do spring. thanks for sharing this all adds to honing in on our demographics. :D
Regards Antonio:
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100

Post by Jon Chown »

Thats a great read Viet - You have explained the process very well and have given me the encouragement to have a go on one of mine. Thank you

Jon
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I Airlayered one of mine this last year sucessfully. I used the method of splitting a small pot, wrap around the tree and fill with Spagnum moss and potting mix.

The tree was purchased from Koreshoffs NUrsery when they were closing down, and had been ground grown for a few years. It was really tall and spindley, adn I put 2 airlayers on the tree during the middle of autumn. By the end of Winter, there were new roots protruding from the bottom of the pots and I too k off the layers at the start of spring

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100

Post by Jon Chown »

I put 2 airlayers on the tree during the middle of autumn. By the end of Winter, there were new roots protruding from the bottom of the pots
Hey Ken, thats a good result roots in around 4 months. Did you use a hormone powder?

I have just made a note on one of the Dan Barton sheets and set up a file by months and placed this one in April so I don't forget to do it amongst my miriad of other chores.

Jon
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

kcpoole wrote:I Airlayered one of mine this last year sucessfully. I used the method of splitting a small pot, wrap around the tree and fill with Spagnum moss and potting mix.

The tree was purchased from Koreshoffs NUrsery when they were closing down, and had been ground grown for a few years. It was really tall and spindley, adn I put 2 airlayers on the tree during the middle of autumn. By the end of Winter, there were new roots protruding from the bottom of the pots and I too k off the layers at the start of spring

Ken
5 months way to go ken! what took you so long to say so? :lol: that has convinced me that is the way to go here. i will do one of mine this autumn as well. :D
Last edited by anttal63 on December 17th, 2008, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Jon Chown wrote: Hey Ken, thats a good result roots in around 4 months. Did you use a hormone powder?

Jon
Yes I use the Purple rooting Gel available from everywhere
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”