wow

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: wow

Post by Pup »

This topic can be hammered till the Cows come home and we will still have this. Difference of opinions.
All of my tree's that were collected have not had any significant changes made to the way they were growing when DUG.
I have wired to open up where if it is not done branches and twigs will die.
To style a tree is not it should be this way or that because it is from here or there.
It is to make it look natural. Unfortunately a lot of Bonsai enthusiasts do not have or have not seen the way tree's grow.
That might not be the right thing to say. What I am trying to say is the books tell us this is that style or this style.
I have seen the argument just recently, that there are not many cascade tree,s in the mountains of China or Japan. As tree's grow upwards searching for light. In deed when I see pictures of the mountains I see very few Cascades. Or semi cascades. T
hey are there though. As I have said before and will say again.
Some where in this great big Country of ours grows a tree that is the same as the pine the zelkova or the juniper, of the northern Hemisphere. Do we collect it !!!!( I have a scientific licence to collect )and then try to style it some other way because it reminds us to much of a Broom or Bunjingi or a cascade?.
We get back to what is Australian style?. Gum trees Paperbarks Morten bay figs any tree that is Australian is Australian style.
Just my 2 cents on it again :lol: :roll: Pup
Last edited by Pup on December 20th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Pup wrote:This topic can be hammered till the Cows come home and we will still have this. Difference of opinions.
The good thing though at each post it tells the other a little more on why they have that opinion. I think its one of the few times that differing opinions hasnt ending in a fist fight.
:)
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Pup I just realiased this is the same tree in the dilemma thread :oops:
I have gone from pic to pic and now realise why the latest pic is not so wow to me. The upper portion of the cascade seems to be much more vigorous than the lower section.
I wonder what would happen if the top section was pruned harder or more often to increase the lower growth.
This is a question to learn of course and not the student informing the master
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Brett this tree is the same one that was used in the flyer promoting the National Collection. It was in fact the centerfold.
If you have seen that one you will notice a different pot.
Just before this pic was taken we had a storm the tree was blown of its stand the tip of the lower branch got broken of . As did the original pot. Which is a lot like the one it is in now.
The master as you call me is humble, in that a student can teach such as me new ways. Thank you for your comments :oops: :roll: :o :D Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
marie6065
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by marie6065 »

Hi Pup, I like this one. Don't remember seeing it today though at Sorrento.
Thanks for your help, It was really interesting talking to you.
Also thanks for this link, It is a great place.
I'm the one with the Magpie supporter.
He is watching the game. I just passed him the box of tissues. lol

Marie

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”