ficus cuttings, low strike rate?

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: ficus cuttings, low strike rate?

Post by Jamie »

thanks shan :D i have heaps of stuff to try now :D my hot water system is in my shed which is attached to the house, no windows its dark will that matter?

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Shannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Sunshine Coast, BCI

Post by Shannon »

That's a problem mate you need plenty of light but no direct sun, ie: lime wash green house.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Shannon wrote:That's a problem mate you need plenty of light but no direct sun, ie: lime wash green house.
i thought that might be the case :? i might have to figure something out :D im sure i will come up with something!

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Jamie, you shouldn't need bottom heat up here, well not until 14 th August anyhow ;) , Pup's suggestion of honey is worthwhile (and a hell of a lot cheaper than what your doing now) and try planting your smaller cuttings together in a tight bundle, instead of seperately. Have no idea why it helps, but it seems to. Maybe the little buggers get lonely :lol: :lol: :lol: ( :roll: )
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

:lol: cheers graeme, i will try that to :D

edit- what happens on the 14th of aug?
Last edited by Jamie on February 6th, 2010, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

You turn onto a pumkin ;)
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Jarrod wrote:You turn onto a pumkin ;)
i thought that was midnight mate :roll: :lol: :lol:

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

You might be right, well then it could be because on 14 Aug 1967 the UK Marine Broadcasting Offences Act declared participation in offshore pirate radio illegal. Has to be.

In all seriousness I am guessing the date choosen is at random during the time when spring is coming but it is still cool.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
bonscythe
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Banksia, Melaleuca (Any Aussie Native!)

Post by bonscythe »

Hi Jamie,
I just potted up a heap of Ficus cuttings that were layed down around 3 weeks ago. All cuttings were in between 50-150mm long, some were as wide as 15mm others were as thin as match sticks. All were angle cut with a good 20mm of cambium sliced, dipped in water then into a 3g/kg Rooting Powder.

The potting medium was 50% perlite and 50% vermiculite as I wanted to try something other than prop. sand, the 50/50 mix has worked a treat (better than my efforts with 100% sand). I used something similar to the colander method I have seen Pup use for cuttings. The only difference was that I used the grill/cover from the front of a standing pedestal fan with a couple of sheets of newspaper over the grill to stop all the soil mix coming out. Placed them in almost full-shade, just a bit of morning sun. [Edit: forgot to add to strip the leaves, only leaving one or two small ones at the terminal end, cutting larger leaves in half if needed, also made the angled cut on the bottom end just below a node]

About 95% strike rate. Only a couple got fungal-type problems and didn't make it.
Hope this has helped a bit mate.
Last edited by bonscythe on February 6th, 2010, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Just keep trying batches Jamie, I propagate hundreds of cuttings a year and there are some things I just have to be patient with. There are some that drop leaves and look totally dead before sprouting too. I just keep doing more and take a lot of the ones I know are going to have a low rate. I dont use any heating, but my best success rates are in summer. Honey is an option, try without gel too, or even in a regular potting mix. look for cuttings with a heel, where you have pulled a branch away from a larger one (not sure why this helps, but seems to sometimes, maybe there's more cambium or there is more bud tissue ready for development)
Strip most of the leaves from the cuttings, they just provide a lot of transpiration area which the cutting can't afford when it has no roots. It will grow them when it needs em again!
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

ahhh jarrod your a crack up :P :D

bonsycthe, cheers for the ideas mate, i will have to try for sure! (i have a lot of stuff to try now :? :D )

greth, thats pretty much what i have been doing, trying different things each batch, i think the reason why the ones that have been "torn" from a fork in a branchlet strike better it because of all the advetitous (not sure if thats right) buds are around in that area and it has more growth hormone? or something like that?

i am replying of no sleep since thursday morning, so getting a bit delirious again, sorry if my words dont make sense.

jamie :? :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Jamie, I have it on good authority from an organic grower that if you are planning on using honey as a rooting hormone, you need raw honey that has not been heat pasturised, that way all the hormones in the honey are still effective. Try a healh food store. Also with regular proprietry rooting hormones, if you keep them in the door of your fridge they will last for ages, that tip was from a manufacturer. Clonex purple is a reliable all purpose gel that is pretty simple to use and is available at your local "you guessed it" hardware complex.

I hope this is of assistance.

I plan to do an article on propagation systems at some point as I have recently built a large and very effective automated unit. Oh and it was inexpensive too :D

Cheers
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hey mojo :D

thanks for the info. i had used clonex purple from "that" ;) hardware store and havent had as good results with it as far as larger cuttings go, and the purple is for the hardwood yes? or is purple the medium one? either way i have had more success with rootex, ohwell, i can always have both :D

i am interested in your very large automated system that is easy to build mate :D wheres the pics?

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Clonex Purple is for medium wood.
I have found that most difficulties in growing cuttings arise from under or over watering, incorrect light, overheating, poor air circulation or unsuitable growing medium. I am not convinced that hormone is to blame for as many failures as people think.
jamie111 wrote: i am interested in your very large automated system that is easy to build mate :D wheres the pics?jamie :D
Never mentioned it was easy to build, but yeah it was!!

I wan't to do a full page technical article on the old heating and mist system (which still works pretty well) and the new system, which was inspired by a $70,000 commercial propagation house.
The new enclosure is 4m x 1.2m x 1.5 m tall and cost less than $1000 for a 4500 cutting capacity. I plan to add a couple of things to it this year which will enable almost full climate control.

Cheers
MM

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Oh yeah, I can use it for stabilising collected trees after they have been dug!!

MM

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”