Radiata from seed.

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Radiata from seed.

Post by anttal63 »

This is one of 10 that was grown from seed. They have just had their 3rd birthday this month. In the first year they had their tap roots cut and trunks wired. In the 2nd year they got their roots sorted again by eliminating any undesired and spreading them out into a bigger pot. Yesterday I slip potted them 2 sizes up, hoping to get some explosive growth over the next 3-5 months. Then in July/August I will chop some down to the basal buds, wire and allow to grow again. Others i will leave as is, wrap in raffia & wire and give them a good old racking. Radiata's are very under rated but make magneficent bonsai. Seeds are readily available and are fast growing. :D

2nd year;

020920081890.jpg

3rd year;

090220103639.jpg
090220103640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Radiata from seed.

Post by alpineart »

Well done Ant' i have some old Radiata seedlings from 90 year old trees ticking on and some Pinus Muhgo .Be nice to see them that height .Cheers
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

alpineart wrote:Well done Ant' i have some old Radiata seedlings from 90 year old trees ticking on and some Pinus Muhgo .Be nice to see them that height .Cheers

thanks pal; yeah well it wont take long for the radi's but i'm not sure about the mugo's. Very slow growers they are. Pumila is the variety thats suits bonsai best i believe. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

Nice work Ant. Have a local spot I can get these from. You remember the post. Most a small council chop tops. I'll take ya autumn or spring ;) spring was good for me this year.
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

This is good work Ant, and you are right they are underrated trees. If you work hard on the foliage its possible to get very even needle size.
Craig

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”