Collecting Eucy's #2

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Collecting Eucy's #2

Post by MattA »

PeterH wrote:Hi all,

Just a note on working with Eucs this time of the year. Be aware of your own micro climate. In my climate I would be careful of the new growth ( upper and lower ) being affected by sub zero conditions as we go into winter.

Peter
Hey peter,

Thanks for the advice, where i am in newcastle i havent even had a frost in the 2yrs i have been here. Am seriously wondering if i go ahead with my orchard is it goign to be viable IE am i going to get enough chill hours to get a decent crop from my trees. Any other advice or info you could possibly share about my beloved species?

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Update on this one, it is budding up fast all over and on one side they are starting to extend. It is getting morning sun till about 11, i turned it the other day to help budding on the other side. As soon as the first pair of leaves hardens it will be moved out to full sun and get its first light feed.

Matt
RIMG0163a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Regrowth is really getting into swing now. Will be out in the sun and getting a feed very soon.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Very impressive from a chop as hard as can be, great job mate!
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Wow it's shooting well. Looking good, Matt. What do you have planned for this? :)

I've found a particular Euc which has a whole heap of potential after being struck by bushfire mid Summer. It's sprouting all over the place, but I'm concerned about a giant tap root and losing the lot :?
Reckon it'd be any good to start digging around it now or is it too cold?
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Matt , thats very impressive , i learn something new everyday .Might just try my luck a few and see how they go .Thanks for sharing .Cheers Alpine
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Good work with the eucs.
Just a note for potential euc collectors - not all species of euc have lignotubers (that's the swollen 'bulb' at the base of the trunk). Obvioustly if it does not have a lignotuber you cannot treat it as shown.
Some species that do have lignotubers and should respond would include: Red gum, most 'mallees',
Some I think have lignotubers are: Red box, lemon scented
Actually it might be easier to list those that do not have lignotubers. Any ideas?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Hi all,
I live in the scrub on some acres, a couple of weeks ago i notice all the Euc saplings are shooting new growth, so i just doug them up and potted them last week in native mix, all are going well, they didn't even wilt. I have been trying to kill all these for years as they grow in front of the shed.
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks for the positive comments, this one had been doing really well, had been moved out in full sun & had been receiving light doses of fertilizer. That was until I babysat a friends dog last w/e, she thought it was wonderful wandering around the trees on the bench GGRRR I hadnt noticed until a few days later that she had knocked this one out of its pot. By then the damage had been done, I have repotted and put it back in the shade but think the most I can hope for now is a big dead centre with a load of little ones suckering off the bottom . I have found with lignotubers it can take a year or 2 for them to get a really solid root system under them & until such time are very easily dislodged and lost, either partially or fully.

I recently found a massive patch of Eucalypt, Angophora, Callitris, Banksia and Callistemon plus quite a few other things I am not 100% on ID's for. They have all been regularly cut to ground as they are under high tension powerlines. Just have to wait till I have more soil before I spend a day digging as many as I can.Oh and cut down a load of plastic pots to take them all. Now I know the place to look (powerlines) I am hoping for alot more to be added to my growing native collection.

Shibui you are right that not all produce a lignotuber, I have also found that ironbark and box varieties tend to be alot slower to put on growth and have only a 50% strike rate. I have a yellow box that had shot to the same extent as this one & then did nothing at all for over 12mths. It has just started to put on some new growth so hopefully it is over its adjusting period.

Mick, can you show us some pics and give any more info on your process, roots left etc etc I have tried to transplant seedlings many times & never had any success.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

Post by Handy Mick »

Matt, I'll try to figure out how to put some pictures on tommorow, as you can see i'm new at this computer thing. For now, I live down near Goulburn where there is frost this time of year. I doug up with all roots and just bent them to suit the pot, (100mm) they get only morning sun till 11am and kept moist. I'll do photo's tommorow.
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”