clerodendrum cuttings

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

clerodendrum cuttings

Post by Jamie »

hi guys,

i am just after a little consensus on clerodendrum cuttings and whats the biggest that you have struck and how long it took?

more so how long it took ?? i have some nice solid 50mm plus diameter cuttings and am wondering how long they take to strike, i know they are fast once established but how long does it take to get a root system on them that will support their fast growth? first time i have taken cuttings of clero so im not sure, i know shan and rod will have some info for me ;)

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Rod
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wide range
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Qld

Re: clerodendrum cuttings

Post by Rod »

Mate I have done them up to about 80 mm , it`s a good idea to cut a chamfer around the base cut to help with the angle the roots emerge. Do you remember the cleros I had done when you were up, they have all shot. You may remember there was a small sumo among them that caught you eye. ;) ROD....
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: clerodendrum cuttings

Post by Jamie »

i didnt cut the chamfer on them, i wasnt thinking about that when i put them in, i knew you had some big ones and yea i am pretty sure i remember one that caught my eye :D ;) there was a lot that actually caught my eye when i was at your place looking at trees mate, its hard not to when you have a great collection :D

so all up in saying that it has taken about 3 months or so to strike and shoot. that should be good then, i gave the ones of mine a slight touch which i know i shouldnt have but was keen to see and they felt stable which tells me that something might be going on, i will definately wait until i see some signs of life in them though!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”