eucalypt digging?

Discussions about propagating from cuttings, seeds, air layers etc. Going on a dig (Yamadori) or thinking of importing? Discuss how, when and where here.
simonm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 0

eucalypt digging?

Post by simonm »

hey,
is it possible to dig up a eucalypt at this time of the year without it dying or should i wait till after winter?

simon
Hey all
simonm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: eucalypt digging?

Post by simonm »

anyone know?
Hey all
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

simonm wrote:hey,
is it possible to dig up a eucalypt at this time of the year without it dying or should i wait till after winter?

simon
Possible, but I would just wait until around late spring and early summer.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Simon,

It is possible but in your climate i would be waiting till spring. If you can do some prepatory digging now to encourage some more roots that will help with improving your chance of success later.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
simonm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by simonm »

by prepatory digging i asume you just mean dig down to cut of horizontal roots but dont lift the tree?
i did that a few months ago.
Hey all
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

As the roots have already been worked prior, I would risk digging it, but am in a warmer climate than yourself. If the local trees are growing thru winter then ok go for it, otherwise it would be better to wait. I did some prep work on a euc 8mths ago, checked it recently & no new roots have formed or even look like starting to form. I am guessing that a lack of additional water is the reason mine has not been successful so far, keep trying to get up to water it as its not far from home but .....

Let us know when you do decide to dig it, as collecting eucs is still a very new area in bonsai, so anything you do is of interest.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Propagation, Collecting and Importing”